Juicy Italian burgers made with a mix of ground beef, spicy Italian sausage, roasted red peppers and parmesan cheese. These burgers are bursting with flavor and are a fun way to switch it up.
Table of Contents
Homemade Italian Burgers
I love a summer time meal that I don’t have to cook indoors. That means a cookout for me! But sometimes I want to shake up the classic hamburgers and make a fun variation. Queue these Italian burgers. They are so good and will definitely be on repeat this summer!
Some simple Italian ingredients are all it takes to put these burgers together in under 20 minutes. I started with ground beef and mixed in spicy Italian sausage for flavor. You’ll be surprised, the heat doesn’t come through, so your kids can still enjoy the burgers. Parmesan cheese and chopped roasted red peppers are gently mixed into the meat, and of course a pinch of salt. That’s enough to create the most juicy, flavorful patties you’ve had all summer.
Forming the Patties
The patties are big! Well listen, not too big. They fit perfectly on a brioche bun or homemade hamburger bun, even after a little shrinking on the grill. To make the patties, mix together the beef, Italian sausage, roasted red bell peppers, salt and Parmesan cheese. You could even add in a pinch of Italian seasoning for a little extra flavor. Mix with your hands just until combined. You don’t want to over mix or else your burgers will be dry.
I used about 2/3 cup of meat mixture for each patty. Flatten to about 1 inch thick. I like to press mine a little thinner in the center (Did you know that’s where they shrink in? This trick helps your burgers stay flat, instead of bulging and turning into balls!)
Grilling Italian Burgers
Once you’ve formed the patties, it’s time to fire up the grill. Follow these simple steps below to get started:
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Place burgers on the grill and cook just until cooked through, about 6 minutes (flipping halfway). They will be done when the outsides are charred and the internal juices run clear.
- Add mozzarella cheese slices on top if desired. Grill until the cheese melts, then turn off the heat and begin assembling the hamburgers.
Ways to Serve
- On a brioche bun with your favorite toppings.
- Swap the bun for romaine, red leaf of iceberg lettuce to make a bunless lettuce wrap burger.
- Over a bed of mixed greens with a drizzle of balsamic dressing or an easy vinaigrette.
The burgers are so flavorful that you really don’t need many other condiments or toppings. Below are some extras to add on to make them even more divine.
More Grilled Favorites
Italian Burger Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4 ounces spicy Italian sausage , casings removed
- ¼ cup chopped roasted red bell peppers
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons grated Parmesan
For serving: brioche buns, fresh sliced mozzarella, tomatoes, basil, lettuce or arugula, caramelized onions
- Combine the ground beef, sausage, bell peppers, salt and Parmesan and mix together, being careful not to overmix.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. While grill heats, form mixture into 4 patties, using about 2/3 cup of meat mixture for each. Press to 3/4 to 1 inch thick.
- Grill, turning once, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes total. Top with mozzarella cheese slices if desired. Grill until cheese has melted and then turn off heat.
- Serve on a brioche bun with sliced tomato, lettuce and caramelized onions if desired. Alternately, you could serve the burgers over a salad or in a lettuce wrap.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Recipe contributed by Tara from Tara Teaspoon for I Heart Naptime.