Flavorful and juicy salsa verde chicken made in the crockpot or instant pot. Takes only 7 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep!
Crockpot Chicken with Salsa Verde
This recipe is made by cooking the chicken in salsa verde with spices and seasonings. I do this with red salsa too, but this green version is equally as yummy. It’s super flavorful and can be used so many different ways.
This is one of my favorite dump and go recipes. It can easily be made in the crockpot or instant pot and just takes 7 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep. The end result is super juicy and delicious chicken with tons of flavor!
You can serve this chicken over rice or use it for tacos, burritos, nachos, tostadas, enchiladas and taco salads. The toppings are key to make this dish feel special. Add as many or as little as you’d like. Then dig in! :)
All you need are the below ingredients to get started. If you like heat, feel free to add a can of green chiles or a jalapeno. I also like to add fresh cilantro right before serving.
- Chicken tenders
- Salsa verde
- Chili powder
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken
You can make this recipe in both the crockpot and the instant pot. Both ways are super easy and make chicken that’s perfectly tender, juicy and flavorful every time.
- Place meat and onions in bottom of crockpot or instant pot.
- Whisk together the remaining ingredients and pour over the chicken.
- Crockpot: Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours (until it shreds easily).
- Instant pot: Set to manual high pressure and cook for 12 minutes. Do a natural release for 12 minutes and then open the vent with an oven mit.
- Once cooked, shred the meat and place back in crockpot or instant pot. Toss in the juices, then stir in 1/4 cup fresh cilantro.
Ways to Serve
The serving ideas for this recipe are endless! You can keep it simple and serve with rice and beans, or use it to make popular Mexican dishes like enchiladas or tacos.
More Mexican Crockpot Meals
Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
For serving (optional): tortillas, chopped cilantro, avocado, lime
- Place chicken and onions in crockpot. Whisk together the salsa verde, garlic, chili powder, salt, cumin and oregano. Then pour over chicken.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 4-5 hours, or until easily shreds.
- Shred and toss in juices. Stir in 1/4 cup fresh cilantro if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!