Favorite no-bake homemade granola bars made with only 5 ingredients! A super easy recipe that you can customize with your favorite add-ins. Healthy, chewy and delicious!
Healthy Nut Butter Oat Bars
I’m always looking for healthy snack ideas that are quick and easy to make. These homemade granola bars are my absolute favorite because they’re loaded with healthy ingredients and perfect for on-the-go. And there’s absolutely no baking required!
Growing up, my favorite snack was granola bars. I still love them to this day and probably have one every other day. They are just so easy to grab on the go. I also store them in my diaper bag for when the kids need a snack too!
My kids love this natural and HEALTHY granola bar recipe. They are chewy and full of delicious flavors! Much healthier than store bought too. They are also super easy to make with only 5 ingredients. Plus they only take about 5 minutes to whip up, which is perfect for busy mornings.
5 Simple Ingredients
- Oats: I recommend using quick cooking oats for the best texture. Other types of oats may make the granola bars too chewy or hard.
- Nut butter: You can use any type of nut butter, such as almond butter, peanut butter or cashew butter. The nut butter helps the granola bars stick together.
- Almonds: I like to add in sliced almonds for extra crunch and protein. Other types of nuts (like pecans or walnuts) would work too.
- Chocolate chips: What’s a granola bar without chocolate chips?! :) I love the sweetness they add. I’ve found that the mini chocolate chips are just the right size to add in. For a healthier alternative, you could add in cacao nibs.
- Honey: I recommend using honey (instead of maple syrup) because it’s thicker and helps the bars hold together. If using maple syrup, you might want to use less or boil it down since honey is thicker maple syrup. Agave is another good substitute for honey.
Extras to Add in:
Feel free to add in any of the below ingredients when making these granola bars:
- Chia seeds
- Cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- Dried fruit (like raisins or cranberries)
- Protein powder
- Sunflower seeds
- Shredded coconut
How to Make Granola Bars
- STIR. Add all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and stir until well combined. Add more honey if needed to hold shape and salt and cinnamon, to taste.
- PRESS. Line a 8×8 pan with parchment paper, allowing the paper to fall over the edges. Press the oat mixture into the pan.
- FREEZE. Place in the freezer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until firm. Remove paper from pan and then cut the large square in half. Then cut each half into 6 rectangles.
- WRAP. Wrap bars individually with parchment paper or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Tips for Success
- Line your pan. Not only does this make clean up extra easy, but it keeps the bars from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Nut butter. Make sure the nut butter you’re using has a smooth and creamy consistency (not dry and firm). This will help the mixture bind together.
- Consistency. If the bars are a little crumbly and not holding their shape, add in a little more honey or almond butter to help bind the mixture.
- Let chill. Don’t skip this step! The bars need to chill in the freezer for about an hour so that the mixture has time to set and firm up.
- Minis. Looking for a preschool or play date snack? Cut the granola bars into mini squares and then place them in a mini cupcake liner (see picture below). Cute, easy and healthy!
These homemade granola bars are best if stored in the refrigerator and eaten within a week. To store, individually wrap each bar with parchment paper or plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
I also love to wrap them individually and then place them in a zip top bag in the freezer. I always write the date on with a permanent marker so that I know the expiration. Then we just pull them out when we need them. Great for quick snacks on-the-go!
5 star review
“After making this recipe 5 times (with the latest batch being doubled), I figure I’d better leave a raving review! :) This simple recipe does not disappoint! I now make these homemade granola bars instead of consistently buying sugar-filled, processed ones from the store. The consistency and flavor is delicious!”– Nicole
Other Healthy Snack Ideas:
- No-bake energy balls
- Chocolate peanut butter protein balls
- No-bake breakfast cookies
- Homemade granola
- Cereal bars
Homemade Granola Bars
Optional: salt and cinnamon to taste
- Combine the oats, almond butter, almonds, chocolate chips and honey in a medium-sized bowl. Stir until well combined. Add more honey if needed to hold shape and salt and cinnamon, to taste.
- Line a 8×8" pan with parchment paper, allowing the paper to fall over the edges. Press the oat mixture into the pan.
- Place in the freezer for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until firm. Remove paper from pan and then cut the large square in half. Then cut each half into 6 rectangles. Wrap bars individually with parchment paper or plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator or freezer.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!