Homemade heart shaped pizza is perfect to share with your loved ones this Valentine’s Day! It’s the best way to enjoy a slice and ready in only 1 hour.
Table of Contents
Valentine’s Heart Shaped Pizza
If your family loves pizza as much as mine does, this just may be the best way to dine this Valentine’s Day! Heart shaped pizza is not only adorable but fun to make and even more delicious to eat.
I made this into a pepperoni pizza recipe, but you can use whatever toppings you like! Beyond the classics, draw inspiration from buffalo chicken pizza, spinach artichoke pizza, or even use this garlic white pizza sauce instead of the traditional red pizza sauce.
Whether you serve this on February 14th or the days leading up to the holiday, it’s a great way to get in on the Valentine’s Day trend of heart pizza that has become a popular menu item at many pizza places during the month of love.
I mean why spend money at Papa Johns, Marco’s, or Papa Murphy’s when you can enjoy not only a homemade pizza but time with loved ones making it in the kitchen. It’s a win-win in my opinion!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Homemade: We all know that homemade food comes from the heart, so really we are just combining the two into a heart shaped pizza!
- Made to order: Make it exactly how you like it! You could even do half and half or make miniature sized pizzas or make a few for a larger crowd.
- Budget friendly: Making pizza at home is a relatively inexpensive option that is both delicious and fun. It’s a sweetheart of a deal!
- Romantic or family friendly: Serve it up during a romantic dinner date complete with candlelight or have fun making it with the kids, either way it will get devoured and everyone will feel special!
Here is what I used to make my heart pizza, but feel free to customize how you like!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Crust: I love to use my homemade pizza dough as the base but you could keep it even easier with a store-bought crust.
- Pepperoni: This is by far the most popular pizza topping as well as you can create little pepperoni hearts, but you can use what you like!
- Sauce: I love my homemade pizza sauce but again store-bought is great, too!
- Cheese: Freshly shredded mozzarella is delicious, but feel free to mix it up with provolone, cheddar, Parmesan or your favorite cheese!
- Olive oil: For brushing the pan, cooking spray works, too.
This heart shaped pizza is easy to customize with whatever favorite items you and your loved ones usually order on your pizza.
- Sauce: Using a different sauce like alfredo, basil pesto, or BBQ sauce all are great options.
- Extras: Extra cheese, veggies, olives, sauteed mushrooms, pineapple, use as many or little as you like!
- Meat: Make it one topping with your heart-shaped pepperoni, create a meat lovers with sausage, ham and pepperoni or get creative and use meatballs or chicken.
- Specialty: Just like your favorite pizza joint you might like to try alfredo pizza, BBQ chicken pizza, pizza caprese, or chicken bacon ranch pizza.
How to Make Heart Shaped Pizza
This Valentine’s pizza is fun to make no matter the age! Gather your loved ones and follow these easy directions.
- Make heart shaped pepperoni: First, fold each pepperoni in half then using kitchen shears, trim the pepperoni into the shape of half of a heart. Unfold it and it will be a whole heart.
- Make pizza: Shape your pizza dough into a heart. Spread your sauce over the dough and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Place the pepperoni hearts on top of the cheese then bake at 450 degrees F for 15-20 minutes.
- Make mini pizzas: This recipe for a heart shaped pizza can also make four 6-inch pizzas. Start checking for doneness around 12 minutes.
- Whole grain: If you love a heartier dough with extra nutritional benefits try my whole wheat pizza dough.
- Fresh herbs: Add some additional fresh taste by topping it with fresh basil or parsley right before serving.
- Blind bake: Blind baking is popular when making pie crust and means to partially or fully cook your pastry or dough before filling it with toppings. This would work well here, too, to create a sturdier crust. Bake your ‘naked’ crust for around 6 minutes first, then top it with your desired toppings and continue to bake for 10 – 15 minutes until done.
- Easy clean up: Either line your pan with parchment paper or brush pan with olive oil and a sprinkle of cornmeal.
To make ahead use my yeast free pizza dough! That dough can be made up to 24 hours in advance and then just cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Sure! You will just need to roll your dough a bit thinner. Baking time will possibly decrease as well so be sure to keep that in mind.
When looking to purchase a heart shaped pizza, you can order one from Papa Murphy’s, Papa John’s or Pizza hut are great options. With this recipe, you can also easily make it at home.
If you’re looking to make some good pizza at home make sure to preheat your oven 30 minutes before baking. Also, make sure your dough is at room temperature. Make sure to stretch the dough before placing on your sauce and toppings.
What to Serve with Pizza
Make your Valentine’s Day meal complete by adding some additional appetizers or sides! Beyond serving just this Valentine’s pizza, here are a few favorites I like to add to the menu:
- Olive Garden breadsticks
- Mini antipasto skewers
- Italian salad or a simple chopped salad
- Baked zucchini fries
- Caesar salad (our favorite)
Store leftovers of your Valentine’s heart shaped pizza in an airtight container or ziploc bag in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or enjoy cold.
More Valentine’s Day FavoritesBrowse all
Heart Shaped Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place flour on the counter. Place dough on a floured surface and let come to room temperature if it's been refrigerated.
- Fold each pepperoni in half. Using kitchen shears, trim it into the shape of half of a heart (it will be a whole heart when unfolded).
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin or toss until 1/4-inch thick and a 16-inch circle. Cut a 2-inch slit in the top of the circle and shape into the top of the heart. Make the bottom of a heart by forming the bottom of the circle into a point.
- Lightly brush 1 Tablespoon oil onto a pizza stone or large baking sheet. Transfer dough onto the stone or baking sheet, reshaping if necessary. Spread sauce over the dough and sprinkle with mozzarella. Place the pepperoni hearts on top of the cheese.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!