This whole wheat pizza dough is soft, chewy and crispy all at the same time. Super easy to whip up and can be made in less than an hour!
Your family will love this whole wheat pizza! It’s one of those healthy dinner ideas that you can enjoy without any guilt. Plus you’ll love how simple and quick this recipe is!
This whole wheat pizza dough is adapted from my favorite homemade pizza dough recipe, however I just substituted whole wheat flour. It’s soft, chewy and not dense at all. Plus it’s naturally sweetened with a little bit of honey which also helps proof the yeast.
I usually like to roll my dough out a bit more to make a thinner crust. Then I’ll add some marinara or even a little bit of olive oil and garlic, then pile on the fresh vegetables.
So if you’re looking for an easy whole wheat pizza dough recipe, definitely give this one a try. It’s super simple to whip up and can be made in less than an hour. Plus my whole family loves it! So yummy!
- Active dry yeast
- Granulated sugar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Table salt or fine sea salt
- Whole wheat flour
- Warm water (110°F)
How to make whole wheat pizza
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Stir together yeast mixture and let foam. Mix water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit until it begins to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Prepare dough. Add yeast mixture, 2 Tablespoons oil, honey and salt to large bowl. Add 2 cups flour and knead with dough hook or by hands until combined. Then add 1/4 cup more flour at a time and knead until dough is smooth, soft and just a bit sticky. Then knead about 3-5 more minutes.
- Let dough rise. Roll into a ball and rub a little oil around the dough. Place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 20-60 minutes, or until the dough puffs up a bit.
- Roll out the dough. Preheat oven to 450°F and sprinkle flour on the counter. Cut dough in half and roll it out with a rolling pin (or toss) until 1/4-inch thick and 12-inches wide.
- Assemble your pizza. Lightly brush oil onto a pizza stone or large baking sheet and place dough on top. Spread sauce on top of dough and add your favorite toppings.
- Bake pizza. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Slice and enjoy!
Healthy pizza toppings
There are so many healthy pizza toppings to add that would taste delicious! You can choose from any of the toppings below, or follow my favorite healthy pizza recipe if you can’t decide what to choose from. :)
Meat and cheese
- Pepperoni (regular or turkey)
- Canadian bacon
- Shredded chicken
- Hamburger or ground turkey
- Mozzarella (shredded or sliced)
- Bell peppers
Can you freeze the dough?
This recipe makes two 12-inch pizzas. You can easily bake one and freeze the other for another time.
- To freeze: After the dough has risen, divide it in half. Then wrap one of the dough balls in saran wrap and place it in a freezer bag or container. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- To thaw: When ready to enjoy, let thaw completely. Then roll the dough out on a floured surface and bake at 450°F for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly.
- You can also make four 6-inch pizzas. If baking smaller pizzas, check around 12 minutes.
- The dough texture should be smooth and a little bit sticky, but not to where the dough still sticks to the bowl.
- The dough doesn’t need to rise much, it just needs to puff up a bit. This takes anywhere from 20 to 60 minutes.
- You can sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal on the bottom of your pan if you aren’t using a pizza stone. This helps the dough to not stick to the bottom of the pan.
More tasty pizza recipes:
- Healthy Pizza
- Easy BBQ Chicken Pizza
- Garlic French Bread Pizza
- Pizza Pinwheels
- Spinach Pesto Pizza
- Garlic Ranch Chicken Pizza
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
Optional toppings: Marinara sauce, Shredded or sliced mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, pepperoni, sliced bell peppers, olives, sliced onion, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, pineapple, jalapenos
- Mix the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes, or until it starts to foam.
- Place the yeast mixture, 2 Tablespoons oil, honey, and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 cups of flour and knead with a dough hook or by hands until combined. Add 1/4 cup more flour at a time and knead until the dough is smooth, soft, and just a little bit sticky. Then knead for about 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Roll into a ball and rub a little oil around the dough. Place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 20 to 60 minutes, or until the dough puffs up a bit.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place flour on the counter. Cut the dough in half and then roll out the dough with a rolling pin or toss until 1/4-inch thick and 12-inches wide.
- Lightly brush oil onto a pizza stone or large baking sheet. Place dough onto the stone or pizza pan. Spread sauce over the dough and add your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. Slice and serve!