This Instant Pot shredded beef is full of flavor and so easy to make! Pull apart tender meat in a delicious broth is made in a fraction of the time as any low and slow method with even better results!
Shredded Beef in Instant Pot
Instant Pot Mexican shredded beef has amazing flavor thanks to the salsa verde and chili powder. The pressure cooker tenderizes the meat to a melt-in-your-mouth fall apart tender texture which makes pulling it apart effortless. It’s great in things like shredded beef tacos with homemade flour tortillas but also on salads, soups, and more!
Shredding beef becomes a no-brainer once you know how to use the Instant Pot (which in itself is a no-brainer!) so it’s perfect for those evenings when you can’t quite figure out what to make. Once you’ve got a bit batch of shredded beef, the ways to use it are limitless. Not only have you figured out tonight’s dinner, but the next day and the day after that!
Why Use the Instant Pot for Shredded Beef?
The Instant Pot uses high pressure to cook whatever is inside. It breaks down the fibers in the beef in a fraction of the time as the low and slow crockpot or oven method. When you’re pressed for time, the Instant Pot is the way to go. You’ll have shredded beef ready to go in just over an hour.
Tips for Making Shredded Beef in Instant Pot
- Cut of meat. I use a chuck roast for this recipe, but you can use whatever you like since the pressure cooker does such a good job of tenderizing even the toughest cut of meat. Round roast, stew meat, or any cut of beef on sale!
- Searing is optional. Searing your beef creates a brown exterior that locks in moisture and adds a ton of flavor. The Instant Pot makes this almost unnecessary because cooking under pressure locks in the moisture and adds a ton of flavor already.
- The total time includes the cooking time and 10 minutes of natural release of the pressure. Keep in mind, it will take time for the pressure to build, so you’ll want to take that into account.
- Shredding technique. Removing the meat to a bowl and shredding it with two forks is the easiest way to pull apart the meat.
- Discard the liquid. There will be quite a bit of the juice in the pot, you may want to get rid of (or save for later) about 1 cup of broth.
- Serve it with flour tortillas or shells, rice, pico de gallo, sour cream, lime juice, guacamole, or cilantro.
The great thing about this beef recipe is you can season it to your liking. This Mexican style is just one way!
- Toss in some sliced onions and have them cook down in the liquid.
- Make a dry rub with other spices including garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin, paprika, taco seasoning, etc.
- Add some veggies to your pot. Things like potatoes, sweet potato, sliced bell pepper, and carrots would add a ton of flavor to the sauce and would be nice and tender by the time the cooking time was done.
Storage & Freezing
To store: Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
To freeze: You can also freeze the beef for up to 4 months! Make sure to keep it in a freezer-friendly bag and seal it well to avoid freezer burn. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
Favorite Ways to Use Shredded Beef:
- Beef Taquitos
- Burrito Bowls
- Green Chili Burritos
- Sheet Pan Nachos
- Beef Enchiladas
- French Dip Sandwiches
Instant Pot Shredded Beef
- 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast , cut into 3
- 1 cup water , or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder , more if desired
- 1 cup salsa verde
S&P, to taste
For serving: flour tortillas or shells, pico de gallo, sour cream, cilantro
- Place the chuck roast into an Instant Pot (I'm using a 6 quart). You can sear the sides on sauté mode first if desired. Then pour water into the pot and sprinkle the salt and chili powder on top. Then drizzle on the salsa verde.
- Place the lid on top and seal the valve. Cook on high pressure for 60 minutes. Once the time is up, allow the steam to naturally release (about 10 minutes).
- Remove roast from pot and take off any fat. Shred the meat with two forks.
- Remove about a cup of liquid (save the broth if desired) and then place the beef back into the Instant Pot and stir together. Place lid on until ready to serve.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!