Get game-day ready with a new easy appetizer idea that everyone will love! Cheeseburger meatballs are bite-sized morsels of juicy meat and melty cheese that are topped with your favorite burger toppings and served with a side of dipping sauce!
This cheeseburger meatball recipe is a cross between my hamburger recipe and my homemade meatball recipe! If you’re like me and love serving mini appetizers for gatherings big and small, then these cheeseburger stuffed meatballs are about to become your new party platter showstopper!
I use all ground beef and they turn out super moist but you can use a combination of beef and pork if you like. They’re lightly seasoned and stuffed with cheese then baked until brown and the cheese is oozing out of them.
Serve them with a bit of lettuce, a pickle, a cherry tomato, and a dollop of easy burger sauce on top and you’ve got the perfect meatball-sized burger to add to your appetizer tray!
How to Make Cheeseburger Meatballs
- Combine meatball ingredients and roll them up into balls.
- Add a cube of cheese in the center and wrap the meat around securing the cheese inside.
- Place meatballs on a prepared sheet in a preheated oven for 17-20 minutes until no longer pink.
- Allow them to rest before serving.
Tips for Making Them
- Do not overmix the meat mixture.
- Be sure to not only line the baking sheet with foil, but spray as well, so the meatballs don’t stick and fall apart.
- To ensure even browning, flip the meatballs over halfway through cook time.
- Resting the meatballs before serving allows the juices to redistribute throughout, so they’re nice and moist.
A Low-Carb Snack!
As adorable as these are served as an appetizer, they can also be great for low-carb snacking or as a protein-packed afternoon snack for the kids!
Variations & Substitutions
- You could use another cheese besides cheddar. Mozzarella, gruyere, Monterrey Jack, or blue cheese would be delish!
- If you don’t have fresh garlic and onions, use garlic powder or onion powder instead.
- For some heat throw in some red pepper flakes.
- Crisp up some bacon and add a portion of a strip on top to make them bacon cheeseburger meatballs.
Favorite Dipping Sauces for Serving
We kind of drool over this burger sauce, but you could also use:
More Easy Appetizer Ideas:
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef , could sub with half ground pork
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4-6 ounces cheddar cheese , cut into 1/2" cubes
- 24 cherry tomatoes , for serving
- 24 pickle slices
- iceberg lettuce , for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Combine the meat, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, garlic, onion, black pepper and parsley in a bowl. Stir just until combined, do not over mix. Add a Tablespoon or two of water as needed to keep a wet mixture.
- Cut cheese into 24 cubes about 1/2" in size. Use a medium cookie scoop or spoon to scoop the meat. Then place a piece of cheese in the center and wrap the meat around the cheese. Form into 1 1/2" balls and place on the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 17-20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle. Turn halfway through, so the bottoms don’t brown.
- Allow meatballs to rest 5 minutes before serving. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and hamburger sauce.
- You could use mozzarella cheese or shredded cheese as well.
- You can use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and onion powder if you do not have fresh garlic and onions.
- If you’d like to add a little kick, feel free to add in some red pepper flakes in the meat mixture.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!