These cheeseburger meatballs are a fun appetizer or easy dinner idea. Juicy bite-sized beef meatballs with melty cheese have all the delicious flavors of your favorite cheeseburger!
Table of Contents
- Cheeseburger Bites
- Why You’ll Love These Cheeseburger Meatballs
- Recipe Ingredients
- How to Make Cheeseburger Meatballs
- Tips for Making Them
- A Low-Carb Snack!
- Variations & Substitutions
- Favorite Dipping Sauces for Serving
- More Easy Appetizer Ideas:
- More Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Meatballs Printable Recipe
If you’re like me and love serving mini appetizers for gatherings big and small, then this cheeseburger meatball recipe is about to become your new party platter showstopper! Add some pigs in blanket to your appetizer list for more delicious finger food!
This one of my favorite ground beef recipe but you can use a combination of beef and pork. They’re lightly seasoned and stuffed with cheese then baked until brown and the cheese is oozing out of them.
Serve these cheeseburger-stuffed meatballs with a bit of lettuce, a pickle, a cherry tomato, add a dollop of easy burger sauce on top and you’ve got the perfect meatball-sized burger to add to your Super Bowl appetizer tray!
Why You’ll Love These Cheeseburger Meatballs
- Tasty. It’s a cheeseburger in one flavorful bite!
- Family friendly. Kids love both these and mozzarella stuffed meatballs, so it’s a win all around when you serve them.
- Low carb: Only 4g carbs per two meatballs and that’s including making them with breadcrumbs.
- Versatile. Serve this meatball recipe as cheeseburger appetizer or as a dinner main!
Meatballs get upgraded by stuffing them with cheese! It’s such a great combination, you will wonder why you haven’t thought to make cheeseburger meatballs sooner.
- Ground beef: I used one pound of 80% lean ground beef. For a bit spicier meatball, use 1/2 lb ground pork.
- Egg: You will need one large that has been beaten. It helps ‘glue’ or bind the meatball ingredients.
- Breadcrumbs: You can use whatever brand you prefer, I usually use homemade breadcrumbs.
- Parmesan cheese: Freshly grated parmesan cheese adds another layer of flavor.
- Seasonings: Finely chopped onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cheddar cheese: A 4-6 ounce block of cheddar cheese, cut into 24 cubes 1/2″ in size.
- Serving: Cherry tomatoes, pickles slices and lettuce.
How to Make Cheeseburger Meatballs
This cheeseburger meatball recipe is easy to make in a few simple steps! They ooze with cheese when you remove them from the oven and are so good.
- Combine: In a medium sized bowl combine the meat, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, garlic, onion, black pepper and parsley then stir just until combined. Add a tablespoon of water as needed to keep the mixture moist. Do not over mix.
- Roll into balls: Use a medium cookie scoop or spoon, scoop your mixture into 1 1/2″ balls. Then place a piece of cheese in the center of each ball and wrap the meat around the cheese. Again form into balls to secure cheese in the middle and then place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake: Bake uncovered at 400 degrees F for 17-20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle. Turn halfway through, so the bottoms don’t brown.
- Serve: Remove from the oven and allow them to rest for 5 minutes. Garnish with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and hamburger sauce and serve.
Tips for Making Them
- Do not overmix the meat mixture.
- Be sure to not only line the baking sheet with foil, but spray as well, so the meatballs don’t stick and fall apart.
- To ensure even browning, flip the meatballs over halfway through cook time.
- Resting the meatballs before serving allows the juices to redistribute throughout, so they’re nice and moist.
A Low-Carb Snack!
As adorable as these are served as an appetizer, they can also be great for low-carb snacking or as a protein-packed afternoon snack for the kids!
Variations & Substitutions
- You could use another cheese besides cheddar. Mozzarella, gruyere, Monterrey Jack, or blue cheese would be delish!
- If you don’t have fresh garlic and onions, use garlic powder or onion powder instead.
- For some heat throw in some red pepper flakes.
- Crisp up some bacon and add a portion of a strip on top to make them bacon cheeseburger meatballs.
- For an even healthier option try this with turkey meatballs or chicken meatballs.
Favorite Dipping Sauces for Serving
We kind of drool over this burger sauce, but you could also use:
Yes. Bake and then cool completely. Place in a freezer bag for up to 3 months. Thaw and then reheat or reheat from frozen at 375 degrees F for 15 – 20 minutes until warmed through.
More Easy Appetizer Ideas:
More Ground Beef RecipesBrowse all
- 1 pound 80% lean ground beef , could sub with half ground pork
- 1 large egg , beaten
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4-6 ounces cheddar cheese , cut into 1/2" cubes
- 24 cherry tomatoes , for serving
- 24 pickle slices
- iceberg lettuce , for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Combine the meat, egg, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, garlic, onion, black pepper and parsley in a bowl. Stir just until combined, do not over mix. Add a Tablespoon or two of water as needed to keep a wet mixture.
- Cut cheese into 24 cubes about 1/2" in size. Use a medium cookie scoop or spoon to scoop the meat. Then place a piece of cheese in the center and wrap the meat around the cheese. Form into 1 1/2" balls and place on the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 17-20 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle. Turn halfway through, so the bottoms don’t brown.
- Allow meatballs to rest 5 minutes before serving. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles and hamburger sauce.
- You could use mozzarella cheese or shredded cheese as well.
- You can use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and onion powder if you do not have fresh garlic and onions.
- If you’d like to add a little kick, feel free to add in some red pepper flakes in the meat mixture.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!