Lemon brownies AKA lemon blondies are super soft and moist bars topped with the most delicious glaze. The perfect refreshing dessert that you’ll be making over and over again!
Table of Contents
Favorite Lemon Dessert
I have been loving ALL things lemon lately including this lemon meringue pie recipe. There’s just something about citrus desserts that are so refreshing and delicious. And these lemon brownies did not disappoint!
They are moist and buttery, almost like sugar cookies, with just a hint of lemon like my lemon sugar cookies recipe. The powdered sugar glaze on top is tart and sweet and makes a perfect compliment to the brownies without being overpowering.
I love how light they taste as well…not too rich or heavy. Trust me, they’ll be a hit!
These easy lemon brownies are so simple to make and have minimum ingredients for the maximum sweet brownie! These flavors combined are light and sweet and have a hint of savory in every bite. Your tastebuds are going to explode!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Salted butter: Butter adds richness and a savory taste to brownies.
- Sugar: Sweetness is needed to balance the lemon flavors.
- Lemon: Both lemon zest and fresh lemon juice will be used in these brownies for that fresh lemon flavor.
- Eggs: This will help combine the lemon brownie batter and give it the color and flavoring.
- All-purpose flour: Thickens the batter and gives it a nice thickness when baking.
- Baking powder: Helps raise the brownies and thickens them while baking in the oven.
How to Make Lemon Brownies
Surprisingly, lemon brownies are simple to make and you don’t need a lot of prep beforehand. Simply, mix the ingredients together, bake, then make a glaze to frost the brownies. It is that easy!
- Mix. Beat together the butter, sugar, and zest with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. One at a time, mix in the eggs. Then add in the lemon juice. Mix in the flour and baking powder until just combined.
- Prepare. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment or foil and spray with nonstick spray. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth it out evenly.
- Combine. Whisk together the ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour on top of the brownies and spread evenly to coat.
- Bake. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
The glaze takes these brownies over the top! It’s perfectly tart and sweet, with amazing lemon flavor. You could add a little more (or less) juice or zest depending on how much citrus flavor you’d like.
- Powdered sugar: This is a sweet and powdery texture sugar that helps build up frostings and glazes.
- Fresh lemon juice: Squeeze the sliced lemon right into the glaze.
- Zest from half a lemon: The zest will add a tart but sweet texture to the glaze. This is an added touch to the top of the homemade lemon brownies.
5 star review
“Oh my goodness, these were delicious! As per your suggestion, I nearly doubled the lemon zest and juice in both the batter and glaze and they were perfection. Thank you for another fantastic recipe.”-Shannon
Quick Tips and Tricks
Follow these easy tips and modifications to make the best lemon brownies. Make them sweeter, gluten-free, or double the recipe! These ideas and helpful tips make these lemon brownies even better.
- Prepare. Line your pan with parchment or foil for easy cleanup.
- Fresh lemon. If you’re a big lemon lover like me, you can add more zest and juice to the batter and glaze. Learn how to zest a lemon the easy way.
- Gluten-free. A few followers have had success substituting gluten-free flour cup-for-cup for all-purpose flour to make gluten-free.
- Double it! Feel free to double the recipe and bake in a 9×13″ pan.
- Cool brownies. Make sure the brownies have cooled completely before enjoying them.
Choosing good quality ingredients and having all ingredients fresh and up to date will help brownies raise properly when baking and combine together without crumbling. Also, sifting your dry ingredients helps lift and give an airy powder.
Yes! You can easily freeze if desired. Just wrap it in plastic wrap and then again with foil. To thaw, set out at room temperature.
If the ingredients call for water, substitute it for milk instead. Beating your sugar and eggs together until they are well combined. These will help moisten your brownies.
Storing Homemade Lemon Brownies
Simply cover the room temperature lemon brownies pan in an airtight container or using plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for four to five days depending on how long they still stay moist and chewy.
More Lemon Desserts
Lemon Brownie Recipe
For the brownies:
- ½ cup salted butter , softened (1 stick)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 lemon , zested
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the glaze:
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8×8" pan by spraying with cooking spray or lining with parchment paper, and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Then add the lemon juice. Add the flour and baking powder, and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth into an even layer. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the brownies comes out clean. Let cool for 10-15 minutes.
- For the glaze, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice and zest, then pour over the brownies, spreading evenly to coat.
- Let cool completely before slicing. Then slice into 16 squares.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!