EASY Fajita Salad Recipe…ready in 20 minutes or less. This salad is packed with flavorful chicken, veggies and green salsa. Perfect for a quick dinner or lunch!
I LOVE Mexican food and am always looking for healthier recipes to enjoy. I love this chicken fajita salad because it’s packed with veggies and super flavorful. Some of my other healthier Mexican favorites are stuffed bell peppers, taco lettuce wraps, crockpot salsa chicken and one pot burrito bowls.
One thing I love about this fajita salad is how many veggies are packed into it. It’s really filling and also super healthy. I usually end up doing a no-carb cleanse once or twice a year and this chicken fajita salad is always my go-to when I am up to such craziness. It’s always rotated into the menu once or twice a month as well. My whole family loves it. My kids eat everything separate of course. ;)
The fresh avocado, lime and cilantro really make this fajita salad, so don’t skip out on those. The seasoning also gives the chicken the perfect flavor! And the dressing couldn’t be any easier with the green salsa. I make this salad with a cilantro lime dressing when I have extra time and that tastes amazing as well. Adding tortilla strips adds a great crunch to the salad as well if you have those on hand.
What’s in it?
- Chicken breasts: Pounded and trimmed
- Seasoning: Fajita seasoning or taco seasoning
- Oil & butter: For frying the chicken
- Fresh veggies: Bell peppers, red onion, tomatoes and lettuce
- Green chiles: One small 4-ounce can
- Avocado: Cut the avocado into slices or use guacamole
- Cilantro & Lime: Sprinkle on top for more flavor
- Salsa Verde: For topping, can also use cilantro lime dressing, ranch or red salsa
Prepare the chicken
Place chicken breasts on a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub the seasoning on both sides of the chicken until well coated.
Add 1 tablespoon oil and butter into a frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is warm, add chicken and cook for 4 minutes on each side. The edges should be golden and the center cooked through (about 160°F- 165°F with a meat thermometer).
Remove chicken from the pan and allow to cool slightly. Then cut chicken into strips.
Note: You can also grill your chicken if preferred. Season as instructed and cook on grill on medium-high heat for 4-6 minutes on each side.
Cook the fajita veggies
Using the same pan as the chicken, heat 1 Tablespoon of oil. Cook the bell peppers (I used one red, one yellow and one orange), onions and chopped green chiles for about 3 to 5 minutes, until tender.
Assemble and top
Next place your lettuce into a bowl and then layer with the chicken, bell pepper mixture, sliced avocados, tomatoes, cilantro and limes. Squeeze the lime over top right before serving and drizzle with green salsa.
Have leftovers? Try making these!
This fajita salad is one of those recipes that makes for the best leftovers! You can easily save the chicken and veggies and make the following:
TIP: This fajita salad recipe is perfect for meal prep too! Make everything according to directions, then portion out into glass meal prep containers. Just make sure to hold off on adding any dressing until ready to enjoy. Easy peasy!
More Mexican salads:
- Shredded Chicken Taco Salad
- Mexican Salad with Chipotle Dressing
- Easy Taco Salad with Ground Beef
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- BBQ Chicken Salad
Chicken Fajita Salad Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts , pounded and trimmed
- 2-3 Tablespoons Fajita seasoning , or taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 3 bell peppers , sliced (1 of each: red, yellow, orange)
- 1 small purple onion , sliced thin
- 8-10 cups lettuce
- 2 tomatoes , diced
- 1 avocado , sliced
- Fresh cilantro
- Green salsa
- 2 limes , cut into wedges
- Place the chicken on a plate and pat dry with a paper towel. Rub the seasoning on both sides of the chicken.
- Place 1 Tablespoon oil and butter into a frying pan over medium-heat. Once it has warmed up, place the chicken into the pan and allow to cook for 4 minutes on each side, or until the center is cooked through and the edges are golden. Remove chicken from the pan and allow to cool slightly. Then cut chicken into strips.
- Place another Tablespoon oil into the same pan. Then cook the peppers, onions and green chiles for 3 to 5 minutes, or until tender.
- Next place your lettuce into a bowl and then layer with the chicken, bell pepper mixture, avocados, tomatoes, cilantro and limes. Then just before serving, squeeze the lime over the top and drizzle the green salsa on top.