Super soft sugar cookies + baking tip
I love soft sugar cookies topped with LOTS of frosting and a few sprinkles on top. :)
Soft sugar cookies
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen (depending on your cookie cutter size)
- 1 cup margarine or butter, at room temp
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, at room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp lemon or almond extract
- 5 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
Optional: I use 2 different frostings with these cookies. I'll give you both of them, because they are both super yummy!
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 3 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 TB heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- food coloring and sprinkles
Cream cheese frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick of butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
1.In a large bowl mix together margarine and sugar. Beat until creamy. Add in eggs, vanilla, lemon extract and sour cream and mix together until combined.
2. In a separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix just until combined.
3. Split dough in two and place in saran wrap. Refrigerate dough for 1-2 hours.
4. Once dough has been chilled roll out dough on a bakers mat or parchment paper. Add another 1/4 - 1/2 cup flour if dough is still sticky. Cut with floured cookie cutter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-9 minutes.
1. For both the butter cream and cream cheese frosting combine all listed ingredients, mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Frost on cooled cookies and serve:)
Now for the best tip for perfect sugar cookies…
- Before rolling out your dough, separate in two sections and wrap dough in saran wrap dusted with powdered sugar.
- Roll out your dough on a baking mat or parchment paper (so you don’t have to peel up the shapes).
- Dust cookie cutter with powdered sugar and cut out shapes. Slowly remove the excess dough.
- Carefully place mat on baking sheet, then bake.
Seriously I wish I would have learned this tip sooner. Now you’ll always have perfect shaped cookies. Thanks to an awesome friend for the tip! Have you done this before? My sugar cookies are forever changed. ;)
My little girls favorite part… decorating them! Enjoy!
Looking for more sugar cookie recipes? Check out these: