7-Layer Bars – Loaded with gooey layers of graham cracker crumbs, chocolate and butterscotch chips, pecans and coconut.
These are also known as magic cookie bars or hello dolly bars and are truly out of this world! They’re loaded with layers of graham cracker crumbs, chocolate and butterscotch chips, pecans and coconut. Plus, the sweetened condensed milk gives them the perfect gooey texture that will have you swooning over this recipe.
We’ve been making this dessert every Christmas since I was a little girl. They’re one of my mom’s specialties and are always requested by family and friends for Christmas dessert. They really are seven layers of magic. Chocolate and coconut heaven. Yes please!
What are the 7 layers?
The layers in this dessert bake together to make the best sweet treat ever. Check out the layers below:
- Graham cracker crust
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Chopped pecans
- Sweetened condensed milk
How do you make 7-layer bars?
- Preheat oven. Preheat oven and line a baking pan with parchment paper or foil.
- Make graham cracker crust. Combine graham crumbs and butter with a fork in a medium bowl. Then press crumbs into pan.
- Add remaining layers. Next layer in the chocolate and white chips, butterscotch chips and nuts. Then pour the condensed milk evenly over top. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake. Place in the oven for 20 to 25 mins, until top is lightly browned. Let cool then cut into squares.
TIP: If you’re wondering how to cut them into diamonds, simply make horizontal cuts across the pan about an inch and a half apart. Next make diagonal cuts across the pan about an inch and a half apart. Then gently lift out of pan and serve. I find using a plastic knife works best.
How do you make graham cracker crumbs? If you’d like to make your own graham cracker crumbs, simply place your graham crackers in a food processor and pulse. Alternatively, you can add them to a zip top bag and crush with a rolling pin.
How many graham crackers make a cup of crumbs? To make 1 cup of graham cracker crumbs, it takes about 7 to 8 graham crackers. So to make the 1 1/2 cups for this 7-layer bar recipe, use about 10 graham crackers. If you still need more crumbs, crush half of a graham cracker at a time and add.
Can you make 7-layer bars without coconut? If you’re not a fan of coconut, no worries! You can absolutely make these magic cookie bars without it. If you’d still like to add a 7th layer, try adding pretzel pieces, mini marshmallows or more nuts on top.
How long do magic cookie bars last? This dessert will last about 3-4 days if stored at room temperature in an airtight container or bag. If stored in the fridge, they will keep for a few more days.
Can I freeze 7-layer bars? Yes! Wait until the pan has cooled completely, then cut into squares or diamonds. Then add to a freezer container or bag and store in freezer for up to 2 months.
More easy desserts:
- Homemade Snickers Bars
- Ooey Gooey Carmelitas
- Homemade Twix Bars
- Caramel Apple Pie Bars
- S’mores Bars
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars
7-Layer Bar Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers crumbs (I prefer Keebler)
- 10 Tablespoons salted butter , melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans , more if desired
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13" baking pan with parchment paper or foil. Lightly grease.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs and butter with a fork. Then press crumbs into pan. Next layer chocolate chips, white chips, butterscotch chips and nuts. Then pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over top. Sprinkle with coconut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Let cool, then cut into bars or diamonds.
- You can make your own graham cracker crumbs if preferred. Add about 10 graham cracker sheets in a food processor and pulse. Measure mixture to make sure it’s 1 ½ cups. If you need more crumbs, crush half of graham cracker at a time and add.
- To cut into diamonds, simply make horizontal cuts across the pan about an inch and a half apart. Next make diagonal cuts across the pan about an inch and a half apart. Then gently lift magic bars out of pan and serve.
- Feel free to swap coconut with pretzel pieces, mini marshmallows or more nuts on top.
- Magic bars will keep for about 3-4 days if stored at room temp in an airtight container.
- To freeze, place in a freezer container or bag and store for up to 2 months.