These one pot sweet potato bowls are an easy vegetarian meal option that’s ready in just 30 minutes! Loaded with diced sweet potatoes, black beans, corn, rice and seasonings, this delicious dinner packs a punch of flavor.
Table of Contents
Sweet Potato Black Bean Bowls
This is an easy vegetarian 30-minute meal and made in just one pot. It’s perfect for Meatless Monday and for when you want to use up some pantry staples. The diced sweet potato adds such nice flavor and bulks it up so that you won’t even miss the meat. Even my meat-loving husband loved this dish!
The best part about this recipe is that there are so many ways you can serve it (over lettuce, with tortilla chips, in a tortilla, etc.). I love using leftovers to create a totally new dish the next day. This would also make a great meal prep idea for lunches throughout the week. So versatile and completely delicious!
How to Make Sweet Potato Bowls
- Sauté. Cook the diced sweet potatoes for a few minutes in an oiled skillet over medium. Add the diced bell peppers, garlic and rice and cook an additional 2 minutes. Make sure to stir constantly so the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the skillet and burn.
- Boil. Next add in the remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a light boil. Cover with a lid and turn heat to low. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender.
- Top. Serve over lettuce, on top of nachos or in a tortilla. Add favorite toppings and enjoy!
- I used white long rice, but brown rice will also work. You’ll only need 3/4 cup brown rice and will need to cook it an additional 10 minutes.
- For even more protein, add in an extra can of beans.
- Add a dash of hot sauce or more chili powder if you like spice.
- For variation, you could also add cooked shredded chicken or taco meat to this recipe.
Ways to Serve
The beauty of this dish is that there’s not just one way to serve it. Try mixing it up with any of the below ideas:
- Serve over lettuce to make a taco salad
- Over tortilla chips to make nachos
- Place in a flour tortilla to make tacos or a burrito
- Use leftovers to make stuffed peppers
Although the bowls taste delicious as-is, we love loading on extra toppings to really take the flavor up a notch. My favorites are shredded cheese, sliced tomatoes and sliced avocado.
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Tortilla strips
- Green onions
- Cilantro lime crema
- Hot sauce
- Avocado lime dressing
More Easy Mexican Dinners
Sweet Potato Bowls
- 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups cubed sweet potato (peeled)
- ½ cup red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup white long rice
- 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup corn
- 10 ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles (I used rotel)
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder (use 1 tsp if you like more spice)
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
Optional toppings: shredded cheese, sour cream, crema, tortilla strips, cilantro, green onions, tomatoes, guacamole or sliced avocados, jalapenos or hot sauce
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes and cook for a couple minutes. Stir and then add in the bell peppers, garlic and rice and cook an additional 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Add in the black beans, corn, tomatoes with green chiles, salt, cumin and chili powder. Pour in the broth and then bring to a light boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the rice is all the way cooked.
- When rice is done, S&P to taste. Top with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!