A fresh and flavorful Mexican salad recipe surrounded by baked tortilla strips and topped with a homemade chipotle dressing. Easy to make and even more delicious to eat!
What I love about this recipe is that it’s perfect for both lunch and dinner. You can enjoy it as a main meal or a side dish alongside your favorite Mexican foods like beef tacos, chicken enchiladas or chicken fajitas.
This Mexican salad is so easy to make and tastes incredibly fresh! It’s super flavorful and refreshing, making it perfect for summer. And it’s also great for using all of those fresh garden vegetables and farmer’s market produce.
I love the creamy chipotle dressing and the smokey flavor it adds. Plus the homemade tortilla strips are so easy to make and give it the perfect crunch. This salad is great for meatless Mondays or taco Tuesdays. It’s a double win! This is definitely a new family favorite and will be put on the meal rotation for sure!
Homemade tortilla strips
The first component of this dish is the homemade tortilla strips. If you’ve never made your own, they are so easy to make at home! All you need is flour tortillas, oil and salt.
Spray each side of the tortillas with oil, then slice into 1/4″ strips. Place in a single layer on a lined baking sheet and season with salt. Then bake at 400°F for 10-12 minutes, or until golden. Make sure to flip halfway through so that both sides get crispy.
Creamy Mexican salad dressing
Next up is the creamy chipotle dressing. It’s super easy to make and adds great flavor to the salad. To make, simply combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Then pulse until creamy and smooth.
- Sour cream
- Chipotle in adobo
- Lime juice
- Taco seasoning
- Add chopped vegetables, corn, and black beans to a large bowl.
- Pour the chipotle dressing over the bowl of vegetables and toss until coated.
- You can top the salad with the tortilla strips or serve on the side.
- I used mild taco seasoning mix and salsa for the chipotle dressing, since I am using chipotle peppers. You could definitely use a medium or hot, depending on your heat preference.
- Lighten up the dressing by using plain greek yogurt instead of sour cream (or even light sour cream).
- Store bought tortilla strips work great in this recipe too.
- Add more protein by adding some shredded chicken or salsa chicken.
- This Mexican salad is best served cold.
More delicious Mexican dishes:
Mexican Salad Recipe
- 10 flour tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 head romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 15 ounce can sweet corn (whole kernels)
- 15 ounce can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes (quartered)
- 1 orange pepper (diced)
- 1/2 medium red onion (chopped)
- 1 ripe avocado (diced)
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons salsa
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 2/3 cup sour cream (light is fine)
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 lime (juiced)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray both sides of tortillas with non-stick cooking spray. Align prepared tortillas in an even stack and cut down the middle. Dice the halves into about 1/4″ strips. Arrange strips in a single layer on a silpat lined baking sheet. Season with salt to taste. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown, flipping the strips once during baking.
- While the tortilla strips are baking, chop lettuce, tomatoes, orange pepper, onion and avocado. Drain and rinse the corn and black beans. Add chopped vegetables, corn and black beans to a large bowl.
- In a blender or food processor, combine cilantro, sour cream, chipotle in adobo, lime juice, taco seasoning and salsa. Pulse chipotle salad dressing until creamy and smooth.
- Pour the chipotle dressing over the bowl of vegetables and toss until coated. You can top the salad with the tortilla strips or serve on the side. The Mexican salad is served best cold.