Make-ahead chicken fajita bowls are an easy and healthy recipe for weekday lunches away from home. One of my favorite meal prep ideas!
This fajita bowl recipe is one of my go-to healthy lunches. It’s packed with protein and veggies and has amazing flavor. Other favorites are a fajita salad, southwest quinoa salad and taco lettuce wraps.
I can’t believe that it’s almost fall and school is already back in session. To make my life a bit easier, I enjoy meal prepping for the upcoming weeks.
Today I am sharing a make-ahead lunch recipe that is tasty and can easily be transported to work or school. Made with seasoned chicken, vegetables and quinoa, this recipe is healthy and will keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
This make-ahead chicken fajita bowl is definitely a new favorite recipe. I love how fresh this recipe tastes and the flavors are just perfect!
How to prep the chicken fajita bowls
Cook the chicken. I start by preparing one pound of boneless-skinless chicken breasts cut into one inch pieces. When the chicken is fully cooked, I add taco seasoning for tons of flavor (you can also use fajita seasoning if preferred). By cutting the chicken into small pieces, it helps the chicken cook faster and is easy to put into lunch containers for traveling.
Cook the quinoa. Next, I cooked one cup of quinoa in two cups of water on the stove-top according to the directions on the package. Once the quinoa is cooked, I added about one cup of mild salsa. You can use medium or hot depending on your heat preference.
Stir together the veggie mixture. The vegetable mixture is a combination of diced purple onion, red bell pepper, canned corn and mild chopped green chilies. I just love the freshness from these components of the dish.
Layer the ingredients in mason jars. I like to evenly divide the quinoa, vegetables, and chicken into 4 mason jars in that order. I like using mason jars because they are small to pack and you can heat the recipe up in the microwave in the jar.
If you don’t have mason jars, you can use any container or bowl. I like to top my make-ahead chicken fajita lunch bowls with chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream. You could add cheese and more salsa if you like.
These lunch bowls are full of flavor and pretty colors. I highly recommend this recipe for lunch this week!
More Mexican dishes:
- One Pot Burrito Bowls
- Sheet Pan Fajitas
- Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- Easy Enchilada Pasta
- Crockpot Chicken Taco Bowls
Chicken Fajita Bowl Recipe
- 1 pound boneless-skinless chicken breasts , diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup mild salsa
- 2 Tablespoons red onion , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 cup canned corn kernels
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chiles
Optional toppings: Chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream
- Heat a non-stick pan on the stove-top over medium to high heat. Add olive oil and prepared diced chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. Stir in water and seasoning mix. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
- In a medium sauce pot, cook 1 cup of quinoa in two cups of water following the directions on the package (every box of quinoa has different cook times). Set aside at let cool. Once cooled, add one cup of mild salsa.
- In a large bowl, combine the red onion, bell pepper, corn, and chopped green chiles and mix together.
- Divide the quinoa, vegetable mixture, and chicken into 4 mason jars or lunch containers in that order. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Heat in the microwave 1:30 minutes to 2:30 minutes depending on you desired temperature. Top with fresh cilantro and sour cream.