Make-Ahead Chicken Fajita Lunch Bowls are an easy and healthy recipe for weekday lunches away from home.
Hello, there! Today I am sharing a make-ahead lunch recipe that is tasty and can easily be transported to work or school. Made with seasoned chicken, vegetables, and quinoa, this recipe is healthy and will keep in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
I can’t believe that it is almost fall and school is already back in session. To make my life a bit easier, I enjoy meal prepping for the up coming weeks.
This make-ahead chicken fajita lunch bowl is definitely a new favorite recipe. I love how fresh this recipe tastes and the flavors from Old El Paso chicken seasoning mix, mild salsa, and chopped green chilies are just perfect!
These Make-Ahead Chicken Fajita Lunch Bowls are delicious and easy to make!
I start by preparing one pound of boneless-skinless chicken breast cut into one inch pieces. When the chicken is fully cooked, I add Old El Paso chicken seasoning mix for tons of flavor. By cutting the chicken into small pieces, it helps the chicken cook faster and is easy to put into lunch containers for traveling.
Next, I cooked one cup of quinoa in two cups of water on the stove-top according to the directions on the package. Once the quinoa is cooked, I added about one cup of Old El Paso mild salsa. You can use medium or hot depending on your heat preference.
The vegetable mixture is a combination of diced purple onion, red bell pepper, canned corn, and Old El Paso mild chopped green chilies. I just love the freshness from these components of the dish.
I like to evenly divide the quinoa, vegetables, and chicken into 4 mason jars in that order. I like using mason jars because they are small to pack and you can heat the recipe up in the microwave in the jar.
If you don’t have mason jars, you can use any container or bowl. I like to top my make-ahead chicken fajita lunch bowls with chopped fresh cilantro and sour cream. You could add cheese and more salsa if you like. These lunch bowls are full of flavor and pretty colors. I highly recommend this recipe for lunch this week!
Make-Ahead Chicken Fajita Lunch Bowls
- 1 pound boneless-skinless chicken breasts diced into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package Old El Paso chicken seasoning mix
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup Old El Paso mild salsa
- 2 tablespoons red onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 cup canned corn kernels
- 1 (4.5 ounces) – 4.5 oz can Old El Paso chopped green chilies
- fresh cilantro chopped
- sour cream
- Heat a non-stick pan on the stove-top over medium to high heat. Add olive oil and prepared diced chicken. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink. Stir in water and seasoning mix. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often, until thickened.
- In a medium sauce pot, cook 1 cup of quinoa in two cups of water following the directions on the package (every box of quinoa has different cook times). Set aside at let cool. Once cooled, add one cup of mild salsa.
- In a large bowl combine the red onion, bell pepper, corn, and chopped green chilies and mix together.
- Divide the quinoa, vegetable mixture, and chicken into 4 mason jars or lunch containers in that order. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. Heat in the microwave 1:30 minutes to 2:30 minutes depending on you desired temperature. Top with fresh cilantro and sour cream.