Easy Homemade Pizza Dough – Made in just 60 minutes and has a nice, crisp outside and great flavor. Perfect for pizza night with the family. You won’t believe how simple this pizza dough recipe is!
We love to make homemade pizza together on the weekends. While this easy pizza crust recipe is our favorite, we make it in all different form. A few of our other go-to’s are french bread pizza, pizza chicken roll-ups, pizza pinwheels and garlic-ranch chicken pizza.
I’m excited to share my favorite homemade pizza dough recipe with you today! This recipe is from the I Heart Naptime Cookbook and is super simple to make! It comes together in just 60 minutes and has a nice, crisp outside and great flavor. Seriously the best!
We absolutely love making homemade pizza together. It’s become one of our favorite traditions. My kids love to help roll out the dough and add their favorite toppings. This pizza dough has become a family favorite go-to for pizza night, along with my easy homemade pizza sauce. Both pair great together and taste so fresh! Sometimes we even make fresh breadsticks to serve with it as well. :)
There are so many fun ways to customize this pizza dough to your preference. Try using white or pesto sauce as your base and then get creative with your toppings! Although we love the classic toppings like cheese, pepperoni, tomatoes and basil, you could add other fun toppings like pineapple, bacon, jalapenos…you name it.
How to make pizza dough
This pizza dough comes together pretty easily and is made with a yeast mixture, flour, olive oil, honey and salt. What I love about this pizza dough recipe is that we always have all the ingredients in our pantry. So it’s super easy and convenient to whip up!
Scroll down for the printable pizza dough recipe.
- Mix water, yeast, and sugar in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes, or until it starts to foam like the photo above.
- Place the yeast mixture, 2 Tablespoons oil, and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 cups of flour and knead with a dough hook or by hands until combined. Add 1/4 cup more flour at a time and knead until the dough is smooth, soft. Knead for about 5 minutes.
- Roll dough into a ball and rub a little oil around the dough.
- Place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 20-60 minutes, or until the dough puffs up a bit. It doesn’t need to rise much.
Once your dough has puffed up, it’s time to roll out the pizza dough. I like to roll mine out about 1/4″ thick. You could make it a little thinner or thicker based on preference, however just know that the cooking time will vary.
Then it’s time to add your favorite toppings! My kids love plain cheese or pepperoni. However, I love topping mine with burrata cheese, fresh sliced tomatoes, jalapenos and arugula. So yummy!
Frequently asked questions about pizza dough
What is best flour for pizza dough? I use all-purpose flour to make this homemade pizza crust. No fancy flours like bread flour or 00 flour needed! It crisps up very nicely and tastes delicious!
How long should pizza dough rise? I typically let my pizza dough rise anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour. You want it to puff up a bit, but it doesn’t need to rise all that much. Another reason why this pizza dough recipe is super easy!
How do you make pizza dough spread? I like to roll out my pizza dough with a rolling pin on a floured surface, however you can toss it as well. Once rolled or tossed, it should be about 12 inches wide and 1/4-inch thick.
Do you cook pizza dough before adding toppings? No, need to cook the pizza dough prior to adding the toppings! Simply roll out the dough, add pizza sauce and toppings of choice, then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
Pizza Dough Recipe
- 1 cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table or fine sea salt
- 2 1/2 - 3 cups all-purpose flour , plus more for the counter
Optional toppings: Shredded or sliced mozzarella, sliced tomatoes, fresh basil, pepperoni, sliced bell peppers, olives, sliced onion, mushrooms, Canadian bacon, pineapple, jalapenos
- Mix the water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for 5 minutes, or until it starts to foam.
- Place the yeast mixture, 2 Tablespoons oil, honey, and salt in a large bowl. Add 2 cups of flour and knead with a dough hook or by hands until combined. Add 1/4 cup more flour at a time and knead until the dough is smooth, soft, and just a little bit sticky, but not to where the dough still sticks to the bowl. Then knead for about 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Roll into a ball and rub a little oil around the dough. Place into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rest for 20 to 60 minutes, or until the dough puffs up a bit. It doesn’t need to rise much.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place flour on the counter. Cut the dough in half and then roll out the dough with a rolling pin or toss until 1/4-inch thick and 12-inches wide. You can also make four 6-inch pizzas.
- Lightly brush oil onto a pizza stone or large baking sheet. Place dough onto the stone or pizza pan. Spread sauce over the dough and add your favorite toppings.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly. If baking smaller pizzas, check around 12 minutes.
In the photo above, I added burrata cheese, grape tomatoes, pepperonis and fresh basil. Mmm…so good!!
What’s your favorite pizza toppings?!