Say goodbye to box mixes! This easy pancake mix only requires 5 simple ingredients and can be made ahead of time. Store in the pantry and make soft and fluffy pancakes in just a matter of minutes!
While my homemade buttermilk pancakes or chocolate chip pancakes are still my favorite, this recipe is our back up for a quick breakfast. It’s easy for the kids to make with just a few simple ingredients. They are soft, fluffy and delicious!!
My kids favorite Saturday tradition is to make homemade pancakes! However, we also like to sleep in when possible. Recently I’ve been making the pancake mix ahead of time so the kids can easily whip up the batter on their own.
You only need 5 ingredients to make the mix and then when you’re ready to cook the pancakes, you’ll just add milk and eggs. I have also tested this with just water and it does work. However I do recommend adding the milk and egg if you have them on hand.
To make the pancake mix
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
Instructions: Whisk together the ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into a large jar and store in the pantry until ready to use.
To cook the pancakes
Warm the griddle or skillet. Preheat a griddle to 325°F, or a skillet over medium-high heat.
Make batter. Pour 2 cups of the pancake mix in a large bowl along with the milk and egg. Add of splash of vanilla if preferred. Then use a wooden spoon to mix until the batter is smooth.
Cook the pancakes. Butter your heated griddle or skillet, then pour 1/4 cup of the batter on the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until the top starts to get bubbly. Flip and cook for about 1 more minute until the other side is lightly browned.
Cooking tip! If you don’t have milk or eggs on hand, simply use 1 1/2 cups water instead. The taste and texture will change a bit, but this method does work as a cooking substitution.
Storing and freezing
The great thing about this easy pancake mix is that it will stay fresh for up to 6 months if stored in an airtight jar. You can even extend it’s shelf life to 1 year by storing the mixture in the freezer.
Once you’ve cooked the pancakes, you can store those in the freezer as well. Let them cool completely, then place in a zip top bag and freeze for use within 2 to 3 months.
More delicious breakfast recipes:
Pancake Mix Recipe
- 4 cups (520 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50 g) granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
Add before cooking:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- Dash of vanilla , optional
For serving: Butter, Syrup, Fresh berries
Making pancake mix:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Place in a large jar until ready to use. Will stay fresh in a jar up to 6 months. Freeze for up to a year.
- When ready to make pancakes, preheat a griddle to 325°F, or a skillet over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, add 2 cups (or 260 grams) of pancake mix, milk and egg. Add a dash of vanilla if desired. Mix with a wooden spoon just until most of the lumps are gone and the batter is smooth.
- Coat the griddle (or skillet) with butter and then pour 1/4 cup batter onto the heated griddle. Cook the pancakes until bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook the other side for 1 minute, or just until lightly browned.
- Serve immediately or place pancakes on a baking sheet in the oven at 175°F to keep warm.