Tasty Tuesday: The Perfect Pot Roast and Mashed Potatoes!
The Perfect Pot Roast and Mashed Potatoes
- 1 whole (4 To 5 Pounds) Chuck Roast
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 whole Onion
- 6 whole carrots
- Kosher Salt
- Pepper To Taste
- 2 cups To 3 Cups Beef Stock
- 3 sprigs Fresh Thyme, or more to taste
- 3 sprigs Fresh Rosemary, or more to taste
*(I left out the thyme and rosemary once and it still tasted great!!)
- 5 pounds Russet Or Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 1/2 cups Butter
- 1/2 package (8 Oz.) Cream Cheese, Softened
- ½ cups (to 3/4 Cups) Half-and-Half
- ½ teaspoons (to 1 Teaspoon) Lawry's Seasoned Salt
- ½ teaspoons (to 1 Teaspoon) Black Pepper
1. First salt and pepper your chuck roast.
2. Then heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Then add 2 tablespoons of olive oil
3. Cut two onions in half and cut 6 to 8 carrots into 2-inch slices . When the oil is hot, add in the onions, browning them on one side and then the other. Remove the onions to a plate.
4. Throw the carrots in the pan and toss them around a bit until slightly browned.
5. Then place your meat in the pan and sear it for about a minute until it is nice and brown all over. Remove the roast to a plate.
6. With the burner still on high, use beef broth (about 1 cup) to deglaze the pan.
7. When the bottom of the pan is deglazed, place the roast back into the pan and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway. Add in the onion and the carrots. You can add fresh thyme and rosemary to add more flavor.
8. Put the lid on, then roast in a 275F oven for 3 hours (for a 3-pound roast). For a 4 to 5-pound roast, plan on 4 hours.MY OTHER RECIPES
1. Peel and cut the potatoes and boil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes. When they’re cooked through, the fork should easily slide into the potatoes.
2. Drain the potatoes in a large colander. When the potatoes have finished draining, place them back into the dry pot and put the pot on the stove. Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing all the steam to escape, before adding in all the other ingredients.
3. Turn off the stove and add butter,cream cheese and half-and-half. Mash, mash, mash! Sprinkle ½ teaspoon of Lawry’s Seasoning Salt and ½ a teaspoon of black pepper.