This chicken broccoli rice casserole is an easy and delicious recipe that’s topped with a cheesy and crumbly Ritz cracker topping. The perfect “all in one” meal that’s great for busy weeknights. This chicken broccoli casserole is a staple dish at our house!
During the week, I love to make easy dinner recipes that can be thrown together and made in no time. This broccoli casserole is one of my top picks, along with one pot goulash, slow cooker honey chicken and taco soup.
I don’t know about you, but I’m always on the hunt for quick and easy meals my whole family will eat. This chicken broccoli and rice casserole is one of those staple dishes that we always come back to. I admit, growing up I wasn’t a huge fan of broccoli, but over the years I’ve come to love it. Pretty sure roasted broccoli and broccoli cheese soup are what converted me. Now I’m a huge fan!
This is the perfect “all in one” meal and can easily be prepared earlier in the day and then baked right before dinner time. I love making it with a homemade cream sauce, but you can certainly use a can of cream of chicken soup to save time. I left some notes in the recipe card on how to do this.
My favorite part about this dish is the cheesy crumb topping. The crumbled Ritz crackers on top really make this dish.
How to make chicken broccoli rice casserole
What I love about this chicken broccoli cheese casserole is that it bakes in one pan and can easily be prepared ahead of time. So all you have to do is throw it in the oven later in the day! Scroll down for the printable broccoli casserole recipe.
- Prepare: Spread the cooked rice out evenly in the bottom of the pan and then place the chopped broccoli on top of the rice. Set aside.
- Make the sauce: Whisk the flour and melted butter and mix until combined. Then slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Add in the Italian seasoning and then stir until slightly thickened. Next mix in sour cream and half cup cheese. Whisk until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken: Next add the shredded chicken to the cream mixture and pour it over top of the broccoli. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top. Mix the ritz crumbs with the remaining butter and sprinkle over top.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
Ways to make this chicken broccoli casserole healthier
- Use brown rice or quinoa.
- Use less rice and more vegetables (carrots, mushrooms and/or bell peppers would be great).
- Add more chicken for extra protein.
- Use low-fat sour cream and cheese.
- Use whole wheat bread crumbs instead of Ritz crackers.
What sides to serve with chicken casserole?
Although we often eat this chicken broccoli rice casserole as a complete meal, you can definitely still add some sides if you’re trying to bulk it up a bit. See below for some of our favorites.
- Roasted asparagus, brussels sprouts or carrots.
- Lion house rolls
- Fruit salad
- Side salad, such as this chopped salad
More casserole dishes you may like:
- Mexican chicken casserole -made in just 30 minutes!
- Green chili enchiladas -creamy and delicious.
- Baked spaghetti -another family favorite.
Chicken Broccoli Casserole Recipe
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups chopped raw broccoli
- 2 cups cooked chicken (I like to use shredded rotisserie or leftovers)
- 6 Tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspooons Italian seasoning
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 12 ritz crackers
S&P to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8x8" pan with non-stick spray.
- Place the cooked rice in the bottom of the pan. Then place the chopped broccoli on top of the rice. Set aside.
- Melt 4 Tablespoons butter in a pan over low heat. Slowly whisk in the flour and mix until combined. Then slowly whisk in the chicken broth. Add in the Italian seasoning. Stir until slightly thickened (about 2 minutes). Next mix in the sour cream and 1/2 cup cheese. Whisk until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the shredded chicken into the cream mixture and then pour over top of the broccoli. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over top. Mix the ritz crumbs with the remaining butter and sprinkle over top.
- Bake chicken broccoli casserole uncovered for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Prepare the broccoli casserole in a dish that can go in both the oven and the freezer. I like foil pans for freezing.
- Make the recipe up until baking. Then instead of baking you're going to cover the dish with foil, then slide into a freezer bag or wrap with plastic or foil. Make sure that the casserole is stored in a flat, level spot in the freezer.
- To thaw, place in the refrigerator the night before serving.
- Once ready to bake, remove the foil and bake at 350°F until it's warm all throughout (about 30 minutes). If the Ritz crumb topping starts to burn, feel free to cover with foil while reheating.