Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup – Creamy, warm and absolutely delicious! One of my favorite ‘set it and forget it’ crockpot meals that’s perfect for busy weeknights!
This enchilada soup is one of my favorites to make on a cold, winter day. It’s so easy and just simmers in the slow cooker all day long. A few of my other favorites are turkey chili, chicken tortilla soup and white chicken chili.
Chicken enchilada soup
This chicken enchilada soup recipe has become my new favorite soup! Yes, it even contends with my famous taco soup recipe. Seriously, it is that good! It’s creamy, comforting and full of delicious flavor.
My taco soup is actually what inspired this recipe. The best part about this enchilada soup is that it is super easy to make! Put all of the ingredients in the crock pot and let it simmer all day long. You may be tempted to sneak some bites, because your house will smell amazing! The UPS man stopped by when it was cooking and said “that smells SO good!” I told him it wasn’t quite done, or I’d send him with a bowl! ;)
How to make chicken enchilada soup
This enchilada soup is one of those easy ‘set it and forget it’ recipes. Seriously so simple and absolutely delicious. Scroll down for the printable enchilada soup recipe.
- Place chicken in bottom of 5 qt crockpot, then pour chicken broth and enchilada sauce on top.
- Next add cream of chicken soup, black beans, tomatoes, corn, onion and bell peppers to crockpot. Then add seasonings on top.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or on low for 5-7 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred (or cut into bite-sized pieces). Then place chicken back in soup.
- Add shredded cheese to soup. If adding cream cheese, add now and cook on low for 30 more minutes.
- Ladle enchilada soup into bowls and serve with tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream and cilantro if desired.
How to thicken chicken enchilada soup
I personally think the consistency of this enchilada soup is perfect. It’s creamy and has just the right amount of thickness. But if you prefer an even thicker soup, try adding in some additional cream cheese about 30 minutes prior to serving. The melted cream cheese acts as a great thickening agent and gives the enchilada soup a super creamy and delicious texture.
Favorite toppings for chicken enchilada soup
This chicken enchilada soup is perfect for a cold winter day. Top it with fresh tortillas or tortilla strips, sour cream and cheese. Mix it all together and enjoy my new favorite soup!
- Tortilla strips or chips
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Guacamole or sliced avocado
- Chopped onions
Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 15 ounce can chicken broth
- 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce , or el pato sauce
- 8 ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup , or 8 ounces cream cheese
- 30 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 10 ounce can rotel tomatoes and green chiles
- 15 ounce can corn , drained
- ½ cup onion , chopped
- ½ cup red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese , more if desired
- S&P to taste
For serving: Tortilla strips, tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro
- Place chicken in a 5 qt crockpot. Pour the chicken broth and enchilada sauce over the chicken. Next add the cream of chicken soup, black beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell peppers to the crock pot. Add the seasonings to the top.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-7 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred or cut into bite-sized pieces. Place the chicken back in the soup. Add the shredded cheese. If adding cream cheese, add now and cook on low for 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Add tortilla strips or crushed tortilla chips. Top with extra cheese, sour cream and cilantro if desired.
Seriously, save this chicken enchilada soup recipe! It’s a keeper!