Easy pumpkin waffles that are light, crisp, tender and full of pumpkin spice flavor. The perfect sweet breakfast idea to indulge in this fall!
Favorite Pumpkin Spice Waffles
These waffles have the perfect texture…they’re light, airy, soft, fluffy, moist and crispy all at the same time. They’re loaded with fresh pumpkin flavor and warm spices like cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Each bite is amazing!
Top them off with butter, syrup and a dusting of powdered sugar before serving for the ultimate breakfast. Trust me, these are the best pumpkin spice waffles you’ve ever had!
Tips for the Best Pumpkin Waffles
- Use a waffle iron. To achieve a thick texture with deep pockets, I highly recommend using a double waffle iron. The deeper pockets are perfect for holding your favorite toppings like butter and maple syrup.
- Beat the egg whites. This is a simple way to make the waffles lighter and crispier. Separate the yolks from the egg whites and then beat the egg whites until stiff. Then gently fold them into the batter.
- Buttermilk. The added acidity in buttermilk makes the waffles even more soft and moist. Learn how to make buttermilk by simply mixing distilled vinegar into your milk.
- Don’t overmix. The last thing you want to do is overmix the batter, or else your waffles won’t be as soft and delicious. Mix just until the batter is combined. It’s okay if there’s still a few small lumps.
For a fun twist, try mixing any of the below add-in’s into batter. My kids especially love chocolate chips!
- Chocolate chips: Semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips make these waffles even sweeter. Cinnamon chips are also equally as delicious!
- Nuts: For an added crunch, mix in some chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Spice: For a bolder fall flavor, add an extra 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice or even a dash of nutmeg.
Take your waffles to the next level by loading them up with your favorite toppings. Keep it simple with butter and syrup or go more gourmet with fresh whipped cream, chopped nuts and a drizzle of caramel!
- Butter (or this sweet cinnamon butter)
- Maple syrup
- Cinnamon pancake syrup
- Whipped cream
- Caramelized bananas
- Powdered sugar
- Chopped nuts
- Caramel sauce
SERVING A CROWD?
A waffle bar is a fun idea when hosting a fall breakfast or brunch. Set out bowls with all of your favorite toppings (ideas above) and let guests dress up their own waffles.
You can even prepare the waffles in advance and then place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 175°F to keep warm. This way everything is ready to go at the same time!
Freezing + Reheating
These pumpkin waffles are great for freezing! Sometimes I’ll double the batch so that I have extras to stick in the freezer for a quick and easy make-ahead breakfast.
Prepare as directed, let cool and then place in a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. Reheat in the microwave or toaster oven for about 30 seconds until warm. Or place in the oven at 250°F for 5-10 minutes.
Other Fall Breakfast Ideas:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs , divided
- 1 cup milk , or buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter , melted (can sub for coconut or vegetable oil)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (165 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons pumpkin spice , extra 1/2 teaspoon if you like spice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
For serving: butter, syrup, whipped cream
- Divide the eggs and beat the egg whites for about 1-2 minutes, or until stiff. You can skip this step, but it helps make them lighter and crispier.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the pumpkin puree, milk, sugar, egg yolks, melted butter and vanilla. Then add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and pumpkin spice. Be careful not to over mix.
- Preheat your waffle iron to medium heat (level 3). Then fill the waffle mold with about 1/2 cup batter. Cook the waffles for about 2 – 3 minutes or until the waffle iron beeps.
- Top with butter and syrup. Serve while warm.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!