By Kristin of Yellow Bliss Road for I Heart Nap Time.
Hello Nap Time readers! I’m excited to be back again this month to share a delicious meal that’s perfect for a quick and easy family meal or your summer get-togethers! Barbecue chicken tacos are full of flavor and come together easily making them perfect for busy nights.
There are a few ways you could prepare this meal, depending on your preferences. My family loves crunchy shelled tacos, but you could certainly use soft flour tortillas instead. Also, I cook my chicken in the oven since we don’t have a working BBQ, but this recipe is perfect on the grill, too, or even on the stovetop. Ready to get started? Here we go!
What gives the chicken such a delicious flavor is the seasoning rub. It’s just garlic, onion and chili powders, salt and pepper, but together it gives the chicken it’s amazing flavor. A small amount of olive oil rubbed on the chicken helps keep it juicy, and then the seasoning is rubbed on before the chicken is cooked.
While the chicken is cooking, it’s time to chop up the taco toppings. We are pretty traditional in our home and stick to lettuce, cheese, onion and tomato, but some additional ideas would be black beans, different kinds of cheeses, cilantro, sour cream or even guacamole. I often like to serve my BBQ Seasoned Oven Roasted Corn alongside the tacos, and will usually sprinkle a few kernels on top, too. Once the chicken is pretty much cooked through, it’s time to add a little barbecue sauce. Because of the sugar in the sauce, you always want to wait until the end of the cooking time, or the sauce will burn. You can make your own, but I think the bottled sauce works just fine. Using a basting brush, brush a little sauce on top of each piece of chicken, then go back and do it again. Use as much or as little as you like. If you’re cooking in the oven, place the chicken under the broiler on high for 5-7 minutes. This will help the sauce to caramelize and and also makes it look a little more like you’ve cooked on a real grill.
Now is the time to start heating up those taco shells – just pop them in the oven after you’ve turned it off while you dice up your chicken. You can also heat them in the microwave. While the shells are heating up, slice up that delicious chicken.
Now it’s time to make your tacos! Place a few strips of chicken in the bottom of the shell and drizzle with barbecue sauce. Next add the lettuce, cheese and any other toppings, and watch your kids’ faces light up when you call them for dinner!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe! I’d love for you to stop by Yellow Bliss Road and check out all of the delicious recipes that I share there, especially my popular one pan meals!
If you’re looking for more BBQ recipes, you’ll love these:
Barbecue Chicken Tacos
- 10 chicken tenders
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 10 Taco shells
- Your favorite taco toppings
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line an oven safe pan with foil.
- In a small bowl, mix seasonings.
- Rinse chicken and pat dry. Rub first with olive oil, then seasoning mix.
- Place chicken in the foil lined pan and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- Baste chicken with barbecue sauce then place under the broiler on high for 5-7 minutes. Watch carefully so the sauce doesn’t burn.
- Heat taco shells in the microwave.
- Slice chicken and place a few strips in the bottom of warmed shells; drizzle with barbecue sauce.
- Assemble tacos with your favorite toppings.