This easy caprese salad takes only 10 minutes of prep and ready in less than 30 minutes! Filled with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and topped with balsamic.
Table of Contents
Favorite Summer Side Dish
This is one of my favorite dishes to bring to a BBQ. It’s so fresh and flavorful and incredibly simple to whip up. Some of my other top picks are pasta salad, Greek salad and cucumber tomato salad.
A fresh caprese salad is the ultimate summer side dish! You just can’t go wrong with fresh tomatoes, mozzarella and basil topped with balsamic. The fresh summer flavors shine through and taste absolutely delicious.
A traditional caprese salad is made with slices of tomatoes, sliced mozzarella and larger pieces of basil on top. While I love the original version, I find it much easier to eat this way and perfect for a crowd.
To get started, you’ll need the following (amounts included in printable recipe below):
- Tomatoes: I prefer to use cherry tomatoes because they are a great size and hold up really well. I add in about 1 pint, sliced in half.
- Basil: Make sure to use freshly chopped basil. It makes all the difference and adds so much flavor.
- Mozzarella: I love to use mini mozzarella balls because they are the perfect size! No additional slicing required. If you can’t find them, you can dice up a big mozzarella ball into 1-inch pieces.
- Dressing: The balsamic dressing is simple, yet super flavorful. It consists of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and dried oregano. If you don’t have oregano, you can mix in dried thyme instead.
- Optional: I love to drizzle on some balsamic glaze right before serving. You can either make your own or buy it from the store.
How to Make Caprese Salad
Scroll down for the printable recipe.
- Combine ingredients. Place the tomatoes, mozzarella balls and fresh chopped basil in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- Toss salad in dressing. Pour the dressing over the tomato mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze. Before serving, add more basil and S&P to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired.
Tips for Preparing
- You can make your own balsamic glaze or use a store bought version.
- Can add in extras like sliced avocados or even mix in some fresh pesto for more basil flavor.
- This dish tastes best if served immediately, however it can be refrigerated for up to 1 day in an airtight container.
- For a traditional caprese salad, add sliced vine tomatoes, sliced mozzarella and larger pieces of basil to a large plate. Then sprinkle salt and pepper on top and drizzle on some olive oil.
- Bulk it up with some cooked pasta to make a caprese pasta salad.
Favorites to Serve with
This salad tastes delicious paired with any of the following dishes:
Other Caprese Recipes
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Caprese Salad Recipe
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , sliced in half
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano or thyme
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 1 cup mozzarella balls
Balsamic glaze, for serving
- Place the tomatoes, mozzarella balls and freshly chopped basil in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and dried oregano.
- Pour the dressing over the tomato mixture and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Add more basil or salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle with balsamic glaze if desired.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Was absolutely delicious. Definitely recommend eating it all the same day for the best flavor
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! :)
Caprese is one of my favorites!
I really love everything about this salad! It is so good!!
This sounds healthy and delicious!
Such a delicious way to enjoy summer tomatoes! The balsamic dressing used is amazing and brings so many flavors.
I made this and it was amazing! I didn’t have oregano and used thyme instead and I don’t think I’ll go back to using oregano again.
This is the perfect summer dish! I love these flavors!
Such a great salad for dinner! So robust and flavorful, and perfectly light! Delicious!
One of my all-time favorites, this looks delicious!
Always so fresh and delicious! Can’t wait for my garden tomatoes to get ripe!