Easy potato skins recipe topped with cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon bits and taste great topped with a little sour cream! The perfect appetizer for any party!
These homemade potato skins are one of our favorite game day appetizers. They are super easy and flavorful and always the first to go. Other favorites are crockpot BBQ meatballs, 7-layer dip and pigs in a blanket.
We made these potato skins for a recent get-together and they were so easy to throw together. And not to mention super delicious. Everyone loved them!
If I could eat potatoes for the rest of my life, I’d be in heaven. They are definitely one of my favorite foods! Loaded baked potatoes, twice baked potatoes, cheesy potatoes, potato wedges…you name it. I’ve never met a potato I didn’t like. ;)
I left the bacon and green onions off of the kid’s potatoes and they gobbled them right up. I find these potato skin rounds much easier than the typical potato skins because you don’t have to scoop out the potatoes. You also get a lot more out of one potato. They are so good! Definitely a must try for your next get together!
Why I love them:
- No scooping. Instead of slicing the potatoes in half and scooping out the insides, I like to simply slice my potato skins into 1/2 inch rounds. You get the same great taste, with way less work required.
- Less waste. Because there’s no scooping, you get way more out of one potato.
- Bite-sized. Since potato skins are on the heavier side, it’s nice that this version is smaller than the traditional version. They make the perfect bite-sized appetizer!
- 4 large russet or 5 yukon potatoes (washed)
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1- 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 to 7 slices bacon – cooked and crumbled (or 1/2 cup bacon bits)
- Sour cream, optional
- Sliced green onions, optional
How to make potato skins
These potato skins are so easy to make and taste absolutely delicious. Just follow these simple steps:
- Wash and slice potatoes. Wash potatoes and then cut ends of potatoes off & discard. Next cut the rest of the potatoes into approximately 1/2 inch slices.
- Bake the potato skins in oven. Brush both sides & edges of potatoes with butter & sprinkle with salt. Place on foil covered pan & bake for 30 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn potatoes onto opposite side after about half way, to brown the other side.
- Add toppings and bake until bubbly. When potatoes are done, top with cheese, bacon and green onions. Continue baking for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese in nice and bubbly. Top with a little sour cream and green onions if desired. Enjoy!
- Top with sour cream or plain greek yogurt
- Add some sliced green onions for more flavor
- Dice up some tomatoes and add on top
- Add some jalapenos for a little spice
- They also taste great dipped in ranch dressing
- For more of a Mexican feel, replace bacon with taco seasoned ground beef and top with salsa and olives
- You could also convert these into pizza potato skins. Just use cheese, pepperoni, Italian seasoning and some marinara sauce for dipping.
More potato recipes:
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes
- How to Make the Perfect Baked Potato
- Skillet Breakfast Potatoes
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Potato Salad
Easy Potato Skins Recipe
- 4 large russet potatoes (or 5 yukon potatoes), washed
- 3 Tablespoons butter , melted
- 1-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4-7 slices bacon , cooked and crumbled (or 1/2 cup bacon bits)
- sour cream , optional
- sliced green onions , optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cover a baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Wash potatoes and then cut the ends of the potatoes off and discard. Next cut the rest of the potatoes into approximately 1/2 inch slices.
- Brush both sides and edges of the potatoes with butter and sprinkle with salt. Place on the foil covered pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until fork tender. Turn potatoes onto the opposite side after about half way, to brown the other side.
- When potatoes are done, top with cheese, bacon and green onions. Continue baking for 3-5 minutes, or until the cheese in nice and bubbly.
- Top with a little sour cream and green onions if desired. Enjoy!