Warm flour tortillas filled with tender slow cooker shredded beef and finished off with your favorite toppings. These green chili burritos are delicious, easy, and perfect for a weeknight dinner for busy families!
Slow Cooker Shredded Beef Burritos
These green chili beef burritos are one of the easiest slow cooker recipes that I’ve tried. The shredded beef cooks low and slow all day and is ready to quickly assemble right before dinner. It’s the perfect meal to reach for when you have a busy day ahead.
Not only is the meat super tender, but it has amazing flavor from the salsa verde, green chiles and spices. It basically shreds itself and then goes back into the juices to soak up the flavor even more.
Then you’ll add the meat to a warm flour tortilla and fold it up into a burrito. Add some melted cheese or any of your other favorite toppings like lettuce, pico de gallo or sour cream. Serve with a side of cilantro lime rice or fajita veggies for the ultimate Mexican meal!
- Swap the beef with a pork roast if you’d like. Both turn out super tender and delicious.
- For a quicker alternative, make Instant Pot shredded beef instead of using the slow cooker.
- Instead of salsa verde, use green chile sauce.
- Mix in some chopped jalapenos or chili powder if you like heat.
- Swap the tortillas for lettuce wraps to keep it low carb.
- For more flavor, you can always add in a sprinkle of taco seasoning or fajita seasoning.
Whether it’s more salsa verde, a spoonful of sour cream or a sprinkle of shredded cheese, there are plenty of delicious toppings to pile onto these green chili burritos!
- Shredded cheese
- Cilantro lime crema
- Sour cream
- Pico de gallo
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
This recipe makes a lot, so we usually always have leftovers to use for lunch or dinner the next day. Any of the below recipes are great ways to easily transform the meat into a totally new dish!
Freezing the Beef
This shredded beef also freezes wonderfully and makes an easy freezer meal to pull out on a busy weeknight. Once it has cooled down, place the meat in a freezer bag and squeeze out any excess air. Then place in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the slow cooker on the low setting until warm. You may also reheat in a pan on the stove over low heat.
More Easy Mexican Dinners:
- Baked Chicken Burritos
- Green Enchilada Chicken Soup
- One Pot Burrito Bowls
- Green Chile Enchiladas
- Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Green Chili Burritos
- 3 pound roast , beef or pork
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup salsa verde , more if desired
- 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt and pepper
- 8 tortillas , for serving
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream, cilantro
- Place the roast in the slow cooker and add the onion, salsa verde, green chiles and cumin over top. Sprinkle salt and pepper on top (I used about 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper).
- Place lid on top of slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove any excess fat and about 1 cup liquid. Once it is done cooking (you know it's done when it falls apart easily), remove the meat and shred with two forks. Then add meat back into the crockpot and mix together. Add more salsa verde or green chiles if desired.
- Serve warm on tortillas with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!