This homemade stromboli recipe is filled with cheesy layers of pizza goodness! Easy, quick, and sure to be a family favorite!
Table of Contents
Fun Twist for Pizza Night
We have a pizza night about once a week at our house. While we love to make a traditional homemade pizza and even this French pizza bread recipe, it’s also fun to make other yummy variations. Stromboli has all of the same delicious flavors but is rolled into an Italian pinwheel and then baked until crispy. It almost reminds me of a bigger version of our favorite pizza pinwheels or baked ham and cheese pinwheels.
This homemade stromboli is filled with layers of pizza goodness and is so delicious! The crust is golden and crispy, with a cheesy inside filled with your favorite pizza sauce and meats. Plus it comes together super quickly, especially if you are using store-bought dough. We love to serve it with a chopped salad and a side of fruit.
Homemade stromboli is quick and easy to make and comes together quickly with simple ingredients! This dinner is served with a crisp and golden pizza crust, layered with pizza sauce and toppings, then seasoned and baked to perfection. It is a great family dinner or appetizer to feed a crowd!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Pizza dough: Make your own homemade pizza dough or purchase a premade pizza dough in the refrigerator aisle.
- Pizza sauce: Pick your favorite marinara sauce or make homemade pizza sauce to spread over the dough before adding toppings and baking.
- Mozzarella cheese: Shredded white mozzarella cheese gives this stromboli an authentic Italian pizza flavor. Once you cut the stromboli into slices you will see the stringy, long melted cheese pull apart.
- Salami: Add a delicious salami taste and texture to the toppings list.
- Ham: Sliced deli ham works great. If you like it cut or just add whole is great with this stromboli recipe.
- Pepperoni: This is always a classic meat that is delicious on pizzas and great to stuff in a stromboli.
- Egg: Whisk together your eggs and make an egg wash for brushing over the top of the pizza crust. This is like a “glue” to help stick the seasoning and parmesan cheese as well as crisp up the outside layer of the pizza crust.
- Parmesan cheese: Sprinkle-grated parmesan cheese overtop the pizza crust to give it a nice cheesy layer of deliciousness!
- Garlic: Mash a few garlic cloves to give this easy stromboli recipe the best flavor!
How to Fold a Stromboli
This homemade stromboli is so simple to make and tastes amazingly delicious baked! Prepare your dough, add your favorite toppings, roll it up, and bake it in the oven. It will be a golden brown crispy outer layer with tender meat, melted cheese, and warm toppings on the inside. It is the perfect combination!
- Roll out the dough. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a large rectangle (about 10×14″). Spread the pizza sauce on top, leaving a 2-inch border around the perimeter.
- Add toppings. Sprinkle shredded mozzarella evenly over the top. Then add the sliced salami, ham, and pepperoni. Add in any other veggies or toppings if desired.
- Fold. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg. Then roll up the dough like a jelly roll. Pinch or seal the edges together and tuck them under. Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash.
- Season. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and then evenly sprinkle the garlic powder over top. Gently cut slats into the top every 2 inches.
- Bake in the oven. Bake on a parchment-lined baking sheet at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Making these stromboli doesn’t have to be difficult. It is a great dinner for a busy night! Here are some helpful tips that will make this stromboli even easier. Enjoy these extra ideas to help make your dinner even better!
- Leave room. When adding the sauce and fillings, make sure to leave about a 2-inch border around the perimeter of the dough. This way, the fillings won’t ooze out when you try to fold the stromboli.
- Folding. The fun part of making this recipe is the assembly! If you’ve ever rolled a log of cinnamon rolls, you’ll have no trouble rolling the stromboli. It doesn’t need to be super tight, but make sure to roll it tight enough (in the shape of a log) so that it keeps its shape and the fillings stay intact.
- Crust browning. If the crust is browning too fast on the outside but is still doughy on the inside, try bumping down the temperature and place a piece of foil over the top of it. Some ovens run hotter than others. Rolling the dough thinner will also help it cook more evenly.
- Egg wash. Don’t skip this step! Brushing an easy egg wash over the dough gives the crust that perfectly golden and crispy texture.
- Slits. Before going into the oven, use a knife to make slits across the stromboli about every 2 inches. This prevents it from exploding in the oven, so this is definitely an important step that you don’t want to forget.
Instead of making a traditional stromboli with salami, pepperoni, and ham, you can also make other fun variations. Below are a few delicious ideas to try. You can mix up the toppings and add any sauce, meat, cheese, or veggies that you’d like. The options are endless!
- Pineapple. Canadian bacon, mozzarella, and pineapple
- BBQ chicken. Shredded BBQ chicken with red onion, mozzarella, and cilantro
- White sauce. White pizza sauce with chicken, tomatoes, mozzarella, and spinach
- Ham. Sliced ham and swiss
- Pesto. Basil pesto with mozzarella, spinach, and chicken
- Buffalo. Tangy buffalo sauce with mozzarella, ranch or blue cheese dressing, and chicken
5 star review
“This was a huge hit! My family was super impressed and said they liked this homemade version better than our usual pizza place. Talk about a win!”-Wilhelmina
You may be wondering what the difference is between a stromboli and a calzone. Stromboli is similar to a calzone, but rolled out into a rectangle and rolled up like a jelly roll (burrito). Stromboli is also sliced to create multiple servings, whereas a calzone is usually just one serving.
A stromboli is an Italian-American dish that takes pizza dough and rolls it in pizza sauce, and traditional pizza toppings, then baked with grated parmesan cheese.
The shape of a stromboli uses a rectangle shape pizza dough. It is rolled and then the ends will be sealed together. Lay the seam side down on the baking sheet when baking.
Storing Easy Stromboli
Stromboli leftovers are easy to store and warm up when ready. Place the stromboli in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days long. This will warm up nicely in the oven, air fryer, or microwave. Heat until it is warmed through!
Do you love homemade pizza?! Then you will love this sheet pan pizza, buffalo chicken pizza, or this bbq chicken pizza for your next pizza night!
More Italian Favorites
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
- 1 batch pizza dough , homemade or store-bought
- ½ cup pizza sauce , more for dipping
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 slices salami
- 5-6 slices deli honey ham
- 12-16 slices pepperoni
- 1 large egg , beaten
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or salt
Optional add in's: sliced bell peppers, sliced mushrooms, sliced onions, fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Roll the dough out into a large rectangle (about 10×14"). Spread the pizza sauce on top, leaving a 2-inch border around the perimeter.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese evenly over the top. Then add the sliced salami, ham and pepperoni. Add in any other vegetables if desired. Brush the edges of the dough with the egg.
- Then roll up the dough like a jelly roll. Pinch the edges together and tuck under. Brush the top of the dough with the egg wash. Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese and then evenly sprinkle the garlic powder over top. Gently cut slats into the top every 2 inches.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until bubbly and golden. Cover the top with foil if it browns too fast.
- Remove from oven and slice a small piece to make sure the middle is cooked. Pop in the oven another 5 minutes if it needs. Allow to cool on pan for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing. Then slice into 1-inch pieces.
- Here’s my favorite pizza dough (I just make half for this recipe).
- Here’s my favorite pizza sauce.
- I also love the pizza dough from Trader Joe’s. You can also use a can of refrigerated pizza dough. I prefer the Pillsbury brand.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This was a huge hit! My family was super impressed and said they liked this homemade version better than our usual pizza place. Talk about a win!
This stromboli is one of my families favorite dinner recipes! Definitely a regular for us!
It’s amazing! Me and my family love it at make it at least once a month
I’m so happy to hear it has joined your monthly rotation. Thanks for your comment and review! :)
I’ve never made anything like this before, so I need help! It came out doughy inside and too dark on the outside. Should I have rolled it the other direction? Flattened it?
Hi Jen! Some ovens run hotter than others. You can bump down the temperature when it starts to brown and place a piece of foil over top of it. Also, you could try rolling the dough thinner.
Love all the layers of this delicious dinner treat!
My family would LOVE this!! Homemade is always the best!
Nothing like a great stromboli recipe…so easy to make and great flavors for all!
This Homemade Stromboli looks incredibly delicious!
This looks absolutely amazing!!
Such a delicious and hearty meal! This has easily become a new family favorite recipe!