Deliciously stuffed sweet potatoes made 4 different ways. This easy dinner idea is loaded with flavor and is super filling!
Table of Contents
BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with Chicken
I’m pretty sure that whoever said “eating healthy doesn’t have to be boring” was talking about this stuffed sweet potato recipe. It’s one of my favorite healthy dinner ideas and is a fun way to switch it up every now and then.
I wasn’t a huge fan of sweet potatoes until a couple of years ago, but now I can’t get enough! Not only are they healthy, but they’re delicious and so versatile. One of my absolute favorite ways to enjoy them is by making these stuffed baked sweet potatoes.
The options are endless with stuffed sweet potatoes. They are full of flavor and super filling. My favorite way to make them is with BBQ chicken, but you can customize them however you’d like. Then load on all your favorite toppings and dig in!
Bake the Sweet Potatoes
Start off by baking the sweet potatoes. When choosing them, look for potatoes that are a little longer than a regular baked potato and similar in size. This will ensure they cook evenly. Also, use a vegetable brush to clean them really well before baking.
- Wash and piece potatoes. Wash and scrub the potatoes. Let them dry completely, then pierce all over with a fork.
- Coat with oil and salt. Place on a foil or parchment-lined baking sheet, then brush with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in oven. Bake at 400°F for 1 hour, or until they are soft.
- Slice the potatoes. Let cool, then make a lengthwise cut across the top of each potato. Don’t cut all the way to the ends though or else they’ll break in half.
Pro tip: Make Crockpot Shredded Chicken!
If I’m not using rotisserie chicken to stuff my potatoes, another thing I love to do is make crockpot BBQ chicken. It’s super easy to throw in the crockpot and cook on low all day. Then it’s ready to go by dinnertime and is one less thing you have to worry about. You could also make baked BBQ chicken if you’d rather use the oven instead of the slow cooker.
Variations (4 Ways)
Now it’s time to start stuffing! I’ve included 4 delicious variations that are super easy to make. My personal favorite are the BBQ chicken stuffed sweet potatoes, but you can’t go wrong with any of these tasty versions!
- BBQ chicken: Toss chicken with BBQ sauce and then add mozzarella cheese (if desired) the last few minutes of baking. Add cilantro and red onion slices on top.
- Buffalo chicken sweet potato: Toss chicken with buffalo sauce and then drizzle with ranch or bleu cheese dressing.
- Black bean: Stuff your potato with cooked black beans, corn and cooked quinoa or brown rice (if desired). You can also top with cheddar cheese and pico de gallo.
- Southwestern: Use taco meat or shredded chicken, cilantro lime rice and/or beans, pico de gallo, guacamole and/or sour cream
More Easy Dinner Ideas
Stuffed Sweet Potato Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Give potatoes a good scrub and then dry them completely with a paper towel. Pierce potatoes a with a fork about 6-8 times.
- Lay potatoes on foil-lined baking sheet, then brush all over with olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until sweet potatoes are soft. Once cooled slightly cut in half.
- Combine the chicken and bbq sauce in a small bowl. Warm up in the microwave or on the stove. Then place 1/2 cup chicken on top of each potato. Then add cilantro and red onion if desired. Salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!