Easy and delicious Mexican burrito bowls made in just one pot in 30 minutes…making cleanup a breeze. Perfect for busy weeknights!
Table of Contents
Ground Beef Burrito Bowl
If you’ve been a long-time reader, it’s no surprise that I’m a big fan of Mexican recipes. Some of my favorites include my green chicken enchiladas and taco soup.
These easy burrito bowls have now been added to the list! If you like my taco soup, you will love this recipe. I used many of the same ingredients but added my easy Mexican rice to make the famous burrito bowl. It is so good!
This burrito bowl recipe is an easy 30-minute meal and one of our favorite one-pot dinners. It’s loaded with ground beef, rice, black beans, cheese, fresh tomatoes, and cilantro! The chunky salsa and green chiles give it a little kick, but not too much. My whole family loved it!
Definitely put it on the menu this week and let me know how you like it. You really can’t beat it!
Don’t let the ingredient list overwhelm you! These ingredients are simple to dump together in a one pot bowl and mix together. This is a fresh and savory dinner that is quick and easy to make!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Seasonings: Chili powder, taco seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste are blended together to make a Mexican spice.
- Vegetables: Red bell pepper, sweet onions, corn, and diced green chiles are spicy and savory crunch.
- Legumes: We used black beans, but pinto beans would work too.
- Tomatoes: Diced tomatoes and Thick n’ Chunky Salsa is the perfect freshness in this one-pot burrito bowl.
- Rice: Jasmine white rice, uncooked (or add in precooked rice at the end and stir). Extra-long grain rice is preferred.
- Cheese: Shredded cheddar jack is our go-to cheese to use for this recipe.
- Meat: Our preference is lean ground beef, but you can substitute chicken breast or thighs if preferred for a chicken burrito bowl.
- Liquid: We used chicken broth, but vegetable broth works too.
How to Make a Burrito Bowl
One pot meals is the perfect meal for a busy weeknight dinner. Cook the beef, add sesasoning, and cook the vegetables, legumes, tomaotes, and rice together for a delicous mixture. It is the best beef burrito bowl!
- Saute. Cook the onions and red pepper in a large pan until soft, then add in the beef and cook until brown. Drain any excess grease.
- Combine. Stir in the salsa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, jasmine rice, taco seasoning, and chili powder.
- Simmer. Then pour in chicken stock and bring to a light boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook until rice is tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Top. Add favorite toppings and serve over lettuce in a salad bowl and eat with tortilla chips. It also tastes delicious on top of nachos or in a flour tortilla to make a burrito.
5 star review
“FABULOUS! My husband and I loved this – super tasty! We had it on lettuce but I’m sure it would be good on tortilla chips or even by itself. Thank you so much for posting this recipe – this will be a regular meal at our home now 😀“-Sherrie
Tips + Modifications
You are going to love how simple this meal is and how fast it comes together all in one pot! Try these tips and modifications to make your burrito bowl just the way you like it. Modify the meat, make it vegetarian, add more spice, and make the rice just right!
- Meat. Feel free to sub ground beef with ground turkey or chicken (dice into 1-inch cubes). You can also use any leftover cooked meat, like taco meat or shredded chicken. Just mix it in when you add all of the other ingredients.
- Vegetarian. Sub the meat with diced sweet potatoes, similar to my one-pot sweet potato bowls. You could add in more beans, my easy refried beans, or fajita veggies too.
- Spice. To take the heat up a notch, add a little more chili powder or mix in some red pepper flakes or chopped jalapenos. You can also use fire-roasted diced tomatoes or hot salsa.
- Rice. I used jasmine rice, but brown rice will also work. Use 3/4 cup brown rice and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using leftovers. Leftovers are perfect for making stuffed bell peppers or a taco salad.
These burrito bowls are full of fresh ingredients with vegetables, protein, beans, and rice. It is a filling and hearty and delicious dinner with low calories.
A burrito bowl has several options to add to it and build on it with ingredients of your choosing whereas a lifestyle bowl is premade bowl options like grains, veggies, balanced macros, or plant-based bowls.
Burrito bowls are versatile and can be arranged in several different ways. The base of the one-pot chicken burrito bowl usually contains chicken, rice, beans, salsa, and guacamole. Squeeze fresh limes over top for a nice zest!
They are usually cooked and warmed up when served.
Storing Buritto Bowl
Place your leftovers in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator for five to seven days. When ready to reheat, place in the microwave or stovetop until it is warm.
Feeding a crowd? Serve this dish with these baked nachos or an extra side of black beans and rice!
More Easy Mexican Dinners
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Burrito Bowl Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup red bell pepper , chopped
- ½ cup sweet onion , chopped
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup salsa , I used Thick n’ Chunky Medium spice
- 15 ounce can black beans , rinsed and drained
- 15 ounce can corn , drained
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 cup jasmine rice , rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon chili powder , use 1-2 tsp if you like more spice
- 2 cups chicken stock , or vegetable broth works too
- 1 cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- S&P to taste
Optional Toppings: Sour cream, cilantro, green onions, tomatoes, guacamole or sliced avocados, jalapenos or hot sauce
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onions and red peppers. Add in hamburger and cook until browned. Drain grease. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in salsa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, green chiles, jasmine rice, taco seasoning and chili powder. Pour in chicken stock and then bring to a light boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for an additional 15 minutes, or until the rice is all the way cooked.
- Stir and season to taste. Add cheese if desired. Cover pot with lid and let rest for 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Spoon into bowls and top with your favorite toppings. We like to serve over lettuce in a salad bowl and eat with tortilla chips.
- You could also make this recipe with chicken. Dice the chicken into 1-inch cubes and cook in place of the hamburger.
- You can also use a can of rotel in place of the separate cans of tomatoes and green chiles.
- You can add extra veggies in with the peppers. Add 1/4 cup extra broth if adding more.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
This has become a regular for me and I really enjoy it!
I thought I might try using leftovers to make stuffed peppers like you recommend and was wondering if you have directions for that? Like what temp and how long should I bake them and do you cut the pepper in half or just take the top off? Thanks!
Great idea! You can use this recipe/directions to make stuffed peppers with the leftovers: https://www.iheartnaptime.net/chicken-stuffed-peppers/. Enjoy!
This is one of my family’s favorite recipes!
So happy to hear it’s a hit with your family, Lindsey!
We made this for dinner last night with ground turkey and it was DELICIOUS! My little girls asked for seconds and thirds they loved it so much!!! 😋
I’m so happy to hear it was a hit with your family, Loni!
I made this for dinner last night, it was SO YUMMY! So much flavor and so simple! I love that it is a one pot meal and that you get tons of leftovers from it! I was able to feed two adults dinner, make 3 large burritos for my husband’s lunches and then eat it again for lunch today! So awesome!
Nice! I’m so happy you loved it. Leftovers are the best! :)
Quick and easy weeknight meal. Whole family loved it!!!
Love to hear it was a hit with your family, Nikki!
Love this recipe! If you are in a pinch for a delicious meal this is my go to! I love iheartnaptime recipes ❤️!
I’m so happy to hear you love our recipes, Yvonne :) Thanks for your comment and review!
I’ve made this recipe many times! Husbands favorite though is when I use ground venison or bear. We’ve even done it with chicken and boy is it yummy to make enchiladas with the leftovers! This is one our family of 10 never complains about :)
Love to hear it’s such a family favorite! We love making enchiladas with leftovers too :)
I will definitely be making this one again! ❤️
This tastes amazing!! I did it with chicken breast, and used 2 tomatoes instead of the canned, also added black olives and garnished with cilantro and spring onions. Great recipe, everyone loved it…a must try!
Sounds delicious! So glad the recipe was a hit :)
Can I omit the rice and broth to make this dish low carb?
I haven’t tried, but I think that will still be delicious!