Easy baked chicken parmesan topped with fresh mozzarella and basil. A quick and easy meal your whole family will love!
Table of Contents
Family Favorite Meal
Chicken parmesan is one of those classic and delicious Italian dishes that you can’t go wrong with. It’s super crispy, flavorful and delicious…no wonder it’s so popular! A few of my other favorites are spaghetti and meatballs, baked ziti and chicken florentine.
One of my husband’s all-time favorite meals is chicken parmesan. He always orders it if we’re eating out at an Italian restaurant. I’ve made quite a few versions at home and prefer my baked chicken parmesan the best. It’s healthier than frying it in butter and is also way easier to throw together. If your family prefers plain chicken, check out this baked chicken breast recipe. You can always add sauce and cheese on top without frying,
You could always make your own homemade breadcrumbs for a unique flavor, but I usually just buy some from the store. You can also sprinkle on some grated mozzarella instead of using slices if you’re looking to cut down on calories. I, however, love the cheese just oozing off the sides! YUM!
- Chicken breasts: Boneless, skinless chicken breast work best. I use 3 breasts and then slice each in half to create 6 fillets.
- Eggs: The whisked eggs are essentially the ‘glue’ that helps the bread crumb mixture stick to the chicken.
- Bread crumbs: You can use either panko or Italian bread crumbs. Both work great!
- Cheese: There are 2 types of cheese used. First I used 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese to include in the bread crumb coating. Then I used fresh sliced mozzarella to add on top of the marinara at the end.
- Marinara: Both marinara or spaghetti sauce work great in this recipe. Feel free to use store-bought or homemade.
- Spices: Garlic powder, salt and pepper are used to season this dish.
How to Make Chicken Parmesan
Find the printable recipe below.
- Slice and tenderize chicken. Cut chicken in half horizontally to create 6 fillets. Then place fillets in a zip top bag and flatten with a meat tenderizer.
- Coat with bread crumb mixture. Whisk eggs in a bowl with salt and pepper. Then place bread crumbs, parmesan and garlic powder in a separate bowl. Dip each fillet in egg, then place in bread crumbs and cover completely.
- Bake in oven. Add fillets to baking sheet and bake at 415° until the meat is no longer pink in middle, about 20-25 minutes. Flip halfway through.
- Top with sauce and cheese. Remove from oven and spoon 1/4 cup marinara over top. Then place mozzarella slice on top of sauce. Place back in oven and bake until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. Broil the last minute if desired.
- Add toppings and serve! Top with fresh basil or oregano and serve with pasta if desired.
How Do you Keep Chicken Crispy?
I like to broil my chicken during the last minute of cooking. The breadcrumbs crisp up so nicely. Just be sure to keep an eye on it so that it doesn’t burn!
If you’d like yours extra crispy, you can fry the chicken before baking. Simply heat 1/2 cup olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each side (after dipping in the crumb mixture) for 2 minutes. Then cook for 18-20 minutes in oven.
5 star review
“I made this for dinner tonight and it turned out perfect! The chicken was nice and crispy, and 25 minutes was the perfect amount of time. I put extra sauce on top when it was finished and it was delicious! 5 STARS! :)”-Raquel
- Serve over cooked pasta such as angel hair or spaghetti
- Over spaghetti squash for a low carb option
- With a big chopped salad
- With veggies like green beans, roasted asparagus or broccoli
- Alongside garlic bread or breadsticks
More Italian Dishes You’ll Love
Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 3 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 eggs , whisked
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Panko or Italian bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups marinara or spaghetti sauce
- 6-8 ounces fresh mozzarella , sliced about 1/8 inch thick
For serving: freshly chopped basil and cooked spaghetti noodles
- Preheat oven to 415°F. Spray a baking sheet or jelly roll pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. Cut chicken in half horizontally to create 6 fillets. Place in a zip top bag and flatten with a meat tenderizer or rolling pin to about 1/2" thick.
- Place egg in a bowl and whisk together with salt and pepper. Place bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and garlic powder in a separate bowl. Dip chicken in the egg and then place in the bread crumbs and cover the chicken.
- Next place chicken in the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it's no longer pink in the middle. Flip the chicken half way through.
- Remove from oven and spoon about 1/4 cup sauce on top of the chicken and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Broil the last minute if desired.
- Top with fresh basil or oregano. Serve with angel hair pasta or spaghetti if desired. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!