These baked sweet potato fries are so easy to make, taste absolutely delicious and will disappear fast! Learn all the best tips to make these healthy, crispy and full of flavor fries at home.
Table of Contents
Best Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries
These fries are seriously amazing and are such a delicious healthy side dish. They turned me into a sweet potato lover and now I make all types of sides with them, like roasted sweet potatoes, air fryer sweet potato cubes or these grilled sweet potato wedges. Yum!
While I love regular french fries or potato wedges, I also love homemade sweet potato fries! When I did a round of Whole30, I made them all the time and have loved them ever since.
This baked sweet potato fries recipe can be served with just about any main dish. Sometimes I’ll even make them for a snack. They are so crispy and are seasoned to perfection. I love to dip them in fry sauce or burger sauce that I whip up, but there are lots of different condiment options that would taste great!
Homemade sweet potato fries only require a few simple ingredients! Here is what you will to make these fries.
- Sweet potatoes: You will need 4 medium sized sweet potatoes. I like to buy sweet potatoes that aren’t super curvy and are a little longer in size vertically. It makes cutting them a little easier.
- Oil: Olive oil or canola oil can be used, I find that canola oil has slightly crispier results.
- Seasonings: I love the classic combination of kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder. Sea salt could be used in place of kosher salt.
- Optional: Cornstarch for coating your fries before baking.
Favorite Seasoning Ideas
There are so many different ways to customize your fries! I took the classic approach in this recipe, but below are a few of my other favorite spices.
- Spicy: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika (or chili powder, cayenne pepper or chili seasoning). You may like to serve this variation with guacamole!
- Cinnamon-sugar: Oil, kosher salt and cinnamon sugar.
- Rosemary: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary.
- Italian: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
How To Make Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Achieving perfectly crispy oven baked sweet potato fries isn’t hard to do, just follow these tips and steps for best results. They are so much healthier than store-bought plsu they are both vegan and gluten-free!
- Cut sweet potatoes into matchsticks. Peel your sweet potatoes and cut off both ends. Slice in half horizontally, then cut halves vertically into 4 pieces. Slice again each piece vertically into 8 pieces then finally cut the sweet potato pieces into thin sticks, about 1/4″ inch thick and 3″ inch long.
- Soak fries in cold water: For the best extra-crispy fries soak uncooked matchsticks in large bowl with ice cold water for 30 minutes. Drain then pat dry and place in a zip-top bag with 2 teaspoons cornstarch and shake until evenly coated.
- Place on baking sheet: Place the sweet potato sticks in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment. Toss with olive oil.
- Bake: Oven bake your fries at 415 degrees F for 15 minutes. Mix together the seasonings and sprinkle evenly over the fries. Then flip them and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, or until crisp.
- Thickness: Make sure to cut your sweet potatoes 1/4″ thick.
- Evenly sized: One of the main keys to making the fries crispy is to cut them into evenly sized matchsticks so that they all bake the same.
- Soak: If you have extra time you can soak your potato matchsticks in cold water for 30 minutes before baking (it draws out the extra starch and moisture). Just make sure to pat try before baking.
- Cornstarch: Add the fries to a bag and shake 2 teaspoons of cornstarch on top so you have a thin coating.
- Oil: Use canola, grapeseed, sunflower or peanut oil for a crispier edge.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan: Make sure to line them in a single layer then flip the fries half way through baking to make sure each side is evenly crisp.
- Bake on a metal rack over a baking sheet: This will allow the hot oven air to reach all sides of the fries and as a bonus you will not have to flip the fries!
5 star review
“This recipe is absolutely amazing and super delicious 🤤… the best healthy snack in my opinion!!!”-Susue
These fries are so flavorful that you might find you don’t even need to dip them in anything! If you’re looking for yummy dipping sauce ideas, try ketchup, BBQ sauce, garlic aioli or ranch dressing. Sometimes we even use honey mustard sauce or buffalo sauce!
If you’re doing the Whole30, you can make a compliant fry sauce by mixing together homemade mayo and Tessamaes ketchup. I use about 1/4 cup mayo and 1 1/2 Tablespoons ketchup.
Sweet potato fries also make a great side dish with:
This is usually because you have cut your fries too thick. It’s better to actually cut them on the thinner side versus risking that they are too thick. Another reason may be that they are not cut in uniform sizes. Uneven sizes can cause some fries to get done faster than others. Last, if you have overcrowded your pan, your fries will steam rather than get crispy.
Yes, this is actually my favorite way to cook these fries, you will just need to cook in 2 to 3 batches so the fries do not overcrowd the basket and steam them instead of getting them crispy. Preheat the air fryer to 380°F. Cook for about 12 minutes (turning half way) or until crisp.
While I like to peel them for smoother fries, you don’t have to peel the skins as sweet potato skins are edible and add extra texture and nutrition. Some say it also makes them crispier! It’s also a great way to save time if you are a in hurry.
I have found that baking them at 415 degrees F produces the best results in my oven. All ovens vary slightly and you may find that increasing your oven to 425 degrees F produces crispier results. If you have a convection oven, even better as it will circulate the air inside the oven leading to fries that lightly browned and crisp.
Love potatoes? Try this recipe for scalloped sweet potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes or best twice baked potatoes, too!
More Sweet Potato RecipesBrowse all
HUNGRY FOR MORE? Subscribe to my newsletter and follow on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all the newest recipes!
Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- 4 medium sweet potatoes , peeled and cut into thin sticks (about 1/4" x 3")
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon paprika or chili powder , optional
- 2 Tablespoons oil (I use canola or olive oil)
- Preheat the oven to 415°F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. If using foil, lightly spray with nonstick cooking spray. (If making extra-crispy fries, follow instructions in notes before moving on.)
- In a small bowl, Mix together salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika, if using.
- Place sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet. Toss with oil and and sprinkle salt mixture evenly over the top. Bake 15 minutes. Flip and bake an additional 10 to 15 minutes, or until crisp.
- Serve fries while hot! These are best served right away. Enjoy with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Classic: Oil, kosher salt, pepper and garlic powder
- Spicy: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika (or chili powder or chili seasoning)
- Cinnamon-sugar: Oil, kosher salt and cinnamon sugar
- Rosemary: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary
- Italian: Oil, kosher salt, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
- Peel the sweet potato and then cut off the ends.
- Slice in half horizontally, creating two equal-sized pieces about 3 inches long.
- Next, cut the pieces in half vertically. Once you have 4 pieces, cut each piece in half vertically again to make 8 pieces.
- Slice each piece vertically into 1/4 inch fries. Each piece should produce about 3-5 fries.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!
Thanks for the tip about soaking then in water and coating in cornstarch. I made them in the air fryer, and they were amazing!
Glad you enjoyed the sweet potato fries!
These are delicious!!! I just added sweet potatoes to my shopping list so I can make another batch!
I was on vacation on vacation last month and only had almond flour and no cornstarch, worked like a charm! Tonight trying the cornstarch!
Glad to hear your substitutions turned out well! Enjoy :)
This recipe is absolutely amazing and super delicious 🤤… the best healthy snack in my opinion!!!! And yes I did eat it all!!!!
I’ve tried sweet potato fries in the past and never liked them even though I love sweet potatoes. I made these and they were amazing! I could have ate the whole batch!
These are fabulous!!!!!!
I have a question. Crash I roll them in gluten free flour or artery instead of corn starch with the same results? If you aren’t sure I’ll try them sand see.
Hi Ruth! I’ve never tried it so I’m not sure. Let us know how it goes if you give it a try! :)
Looks like something my family would go crazy for. Can’t wait to try it!
So easy and delicious! I love to add a little smoked paprika to mine.
When to use canola oil?
In step 3. You toss the potatoes in your choice of oil!
Very good!! Actually easier than I expected. I will definitely make them again!!!
I’m so glad you enjoyed them!
Sweet potatoe fries!!! Awesome thank you