Mexican Street Corn- Grilled corn that’s charred to perfection and topped with a delicious crema sauce, fresh cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese. So much flavor and takes just 20 minutes to make. This Mexican corn recipe takes your typical corn side dish to a whole new level!
During the summer, we love to make lots of easy and delicious recipes on the grill. We recently tried cooking elote corn on the grill and it was DELICIOUS! There’s just something about the grill that brings out the fresh flavor and makes veggies (or really anything) taste extra yummy. This Mexican corn is charred to perfection and has the most wonderful combination of flavors. It is a game changer and takes your typical corn side dish to a whole new level! Plus it’s super easy and quickly comes together, too!
What do you put on Mexican corn on the cob?
This Mexican corn is charred to perfection then brushed with a tasty Mexican crema sauce and topped with fresh cilantro and cotijia cheese. Below are all of the Mexican street corn ingredients.
- Mexican crema (or sour cream)
- Lime zest
- Lime juice
- Chili Powder
- Cotija cheese
How to make Mexican street corn
This Mexican corn is pretty simple to cook and comes together in just 20 minutes. Follow the instructions below to get started. Scroll down for the printable Mexican street corn recipe.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- When the grill is hot, place corn directly on on the grates. Flip occasionally until all sides are lightly charred (about 5-10 minutes).
- While the corn is cooking, mix together the Mexican crema, mayo, lime zest, lime juice and chili powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once corn has cooked, brush the crema sauce all over the top. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and cilantro. Add salt and pepper (plus more chili powder) to taste.
Quick tips about this Mexican street corn recipe
- If you can’t find Mexican crema, feel free to use sour cream instead.
- This can easily be turned into a salad also. Use a corn scraper to remove the corn from the cob, combine all ingredients together and then mix. This salad version tastes amazing on top of carnitas tacos or even shredded chicken.
- Although I highly recommend cooking the corn on the grill (it really enhances the flavor), you could boil, bake or steam the corn instead if preferred. It will still taste yummy, it just won’t have that fresh, charred flavor that the grill gives it.
- If you like a little heat, sprinkle with additional chili powder before eating. You could even add some fresh chopped jalapenos.
- I prefer cotija cheese, but feta would be fine to use too.
Love this Mexican street corn? You’ll like these other corn recipes too:
- Easy corn salad recipe
- How to cook corn in the microwave
- Black bean and corn salsa
- Roasted corn and tomato bruschetta
Mexican Street Corn Recipe
- 4 ears sweet corn (husk removed)
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema (or sour cream)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese (more if desired)
S&P, to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.When the grill is hot, place corn directly on on the grates. Flip occasionally until all sides are lightly charred (about 5-10 minutes). While the corn is cooking mix together the Mexican crema, mayo, lime zest, lime juice and chili powder in a small bowl. Set aside. Once corn has cooked, brush the crema sauce all over the top. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and cilantro. Add salt and pepper (plus more chili powder) to taste.