This Mexican Street Corn is charred to perfection and topped with a delicious crema sauce, fresh cilantro and crumbled cotija cheese. So much flavor and takes just 20 minutes to make. The perfect side dish for any occasion.
Our favorite Mexican Corn
During the summer, we love to make lots of easy and delicious recipes on the grill. There’s nothing better than being outside with the family. And there’s just something about the grill that brings out the fresh flavor and makes veggies (or really anything) taste extra yummy. This Mexican corn is charred to perfection and has the most wonderful combination of flavors. It is a game changer and takes grilled corn to a whole new level! Plus it’s super easy and quickly comes together, too!
How to make Mexican street corn
- Corn on the cob -start with fresh yellow or white corn.
- Mexican crema -you can also sub for sour cream if needed.
- Lime zest
- Lime juice
- Chili Powder
- Cotija cheese
Follow the instructions below to get started. Scroll down for the printable Mexican street corn recipe.
- Grill: Place corn directly on on the grates. Flip occasionally until all sides are lightly charred (about 5-10 minutes).
- Make crema: Mix together the Mexican crema, mayo, lime zest, lime juice and chili powder in a small bowl.
- Top corn: Once corn is cooked, brush the crema sauce all over the top. Then sprinkle with cotija cheese and cilantro.
- If you can’t find Mexican crema, feel free to use sour cream instead.
- This can easily be turned into a salad also. Use a corn scraper to remove the kernals and then combine all ingredients together and then mix. This salad version tastes amazing on top of carnitas tacos or even shredded chicken.
- Although I highly recommend using the grill (it really enhances the flavor), you could boil, bake or steam the corn instead if preferred. It will still taste yummy, it just won’t have that fresh, charred flavor that the grill gives it.
- If you like a little heat, sprinkle with additional chili powder before eating. You could even add some fresh chopped jalapenos.
- I prefer cotija cheese, but feta would be fine to use too.
For more corn recipes, check out:
- Easy corn salad recipe
- How to cook corn in the microwave
- Black bean and corn salsa
- Roasted corn and tomato bruschetta
Mexican Street Corn Recipe
- 4 ears sweet corn (husk removed)
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema (or sour cream)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 Tablespoon lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 3 Tablespoons crumbled cotija cheese (more if desired)
S&P, to taste
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- When the grill is hot, place corn directly on on the grates. Flip occasionally until all sides are lightly charred (about 5-10 minutes).
- Mix together the Mexican crema, mayo, lime zest, lime juice and chili powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Once cooked, brush the crema sauce all over the top. Sprinkle with cotija cheese and cilantro. Add salt and pepper (plus more chili powder) to taste.