The world’s best taco soup recipe that’s fast and easy to make in one pot with staple ingredients! This taco soup is by far the most requested meal at my house.
This recipe has all of my favorite flavors combined into one bowl! It’s hearty, comforting and has a yummy Mexican taste. For more dishes with similar flavors, check out my one pot burrito bowls, slow cooker taco lasagna, taco casserole and Najavo tacos.
Family Favorite Meal
My husband LOVES this easy taco soup and could probably eat it everyday. It’s definitely one of our all time favorite and EASY soup recipes to make. We usually have all the ingredients on hand and it’s something that I usually make without a recipe.
Everyone I’ve made this taco soup for always asks for the recipe. It’s a great meal to take to a family in need. I make this recipe at least once a month and always eat the leftovers. It freezes and reheats really well!
I promise it’s super easy to make. You can even make this in your slow cooker or make Instant Pot taco soup for a quicker alternative. It’s so versatile and easy to customize!
- Meat: Ground hamburger or turkey will both work
- Veggies: Chopped onions, bell peppers and corn
- Beans: Black beans, kidney beans and pinto or white beans
- Tomatoes: Tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Rotel and salsa
- Spices: Taco seasoning – more or less to taste
- Optional toppings: Cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips or tortilla strips, sliced avocado, cornbread croutons
How to Make Taco Soup
Scroll down for the printable recipe and step-by-step video tutorial.
- Brown the meat. Brown hamburger in a large pan over medium-heat. Add in the onions, bell peppers and saute for a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer. Stir in all other ingredients until combined. Let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and enjoy! Top with sour cream and cheese. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
How to Freeze Taco Soup
This taco soup makes a GREAT freezer meal. It holds up really well and reheats perfectly. Check out my easy freezing tips below.
- Allow the soup to cool down.
- Place into a zip top bag or freezer container (leaving room for it to expand) and add a freezer label.
- Place in the freezer. It will stay good for up to six months in the freezer.
- When ready to reheat, place in the refrigerator or microwave to thaw. Then simmer in a pot over low heat.
- If I want to make it go further, sometimes I’ll add in an extra can of beans and tomatoes with a little more taco seasoning.
This recipe can easily be made in the crockpot! Simply brown the hamburger, onions and bell peppers in a skillet first. Then add all ingredients to the crockpot and cook on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. So easy!
5 star review
“Absolutely love this quick and easy soup. Made it for my husband and it’s now one of his favorite dinners!”-Bee
More Easy and Delicious Soups:
- Chicken Taco Soup
- Crockpot Enchilada Soup
- White Chicken Chili
- Healthy Turkey Chili
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
Best Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground beef , or ground turkey
- 1-2 Tablespoons taco seasoning , to taste
- 1 medium sweet onion , finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper , chopped
- 1 red bell pepper , chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto or white beans , drained and rinsed (optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) can corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (10-ounce) can Rotel
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Optional Toppings: Sour cream, Cheese, Tortilla chips
- In a large pot, brown beef over medium-heat. Stir in taco seasoning. Add onions and bell peppers and saute 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in black beans, kidney beans, pinto beans, corn, tomato sauce, Rotel, diced tomatoes, and salsa until combined. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 40 minutes, or longer if time allows. Add 1/2 to 1 cup warm water if starts to thicken. Stir in cilantro.
- Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy!
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!