Have a holly jolly holiday with these 30 easy Christmas appetizers, covering everything from Christmas-themed platters to simple finger foods.
Table of Contents
- Start the Holiday Right
- What Easy Christmas Appetizers to Serve
- The Secret to Stress-Free Holiday Hosting
- Easy Finger Food Appetizers
- Easy Christmas Dips
- Christmas Party Appetizers with Cheese
- Easy Christmas Platters
- Crockpot Appetizers for Christmas
- Full List of Appetizer Ideas for Christmas
- More Christmas Ideas
Start the Holiday Right
The smallest things can be the easiest to overlook during the holiday rush, which is why I have pulled together some of my absolute favorite “small” Christmas bites for you. This list includes warm dips to finger foods, and everything in-between.
Plan a holiday party with these easy Christmas appetizers as the main event or serve some of these as starters to your family before Christmas dinner. Each bite is sure to make everything a little more merry and bright.
What Easy Christmas Appetizers to Serve
There are so many different types of appetizers for Christmas including ways to serve them, that it can sometimes be daunting to make a menu. I like to narrow it down by asking a few key questions that help me pair the hors d’oeuvres with the event.
- How many people am I serving? Will this be a party, a precursor to a sit-down dinner, or small bites on Christmas day? A good rule of thumb is 3 to 4 pieces per person if dinner is served and 10 to 12 pieces per person at a party.
- Do I want casual or elegant? Will you want items that you can serve out of a crockpot or ones that require a pretty platter? This question may seem silly but it really does help when thinking about the type of Christmas party appetizers to make.
- Where am I serving? Are you going to set up a buffet-style app station or have dishes in a few different places so guests can nibble as they move around? Deciding the set-up of these easy Christmas appetizers in advance goes a long way in knowing what to make.
- Who am I serving? Are there any allergies or intolerances you need to be aware of? Always plan on having a few options for those who might not be able to eat everything.
The Secret to Stress-Free Holiday Hosting
I love a good Christmas party, but there isn’t a lot of time around the holidays to spend too much time putting one together. That is why I have a few tried-and-true methods to keep my spirits bright once the invites go out.
- Make the menu. I use the questions above to help plan my menu, and then I try to keep it small and manageable. I typically like to include 1 to 2 finger foods, 1 cheese dish, 1 platter, 1 to 2 dips, and 1 crockpot. If there will be little ones, I also like to make a hot chocolate charcuterie board and I might serve a holiday sangria mocktail.
- Get groceries early. I always buy nonperishables as far in advance as possible and separate them by recipe. I then pick up everything else I need when I am ready to cook.
- Christmas produce: Using in season produce adds different colors, textures and appeal to your holiday appetizers. Bonus, they are usually on sale, too!
- Prep everything in advance. If any of these easy Christmas appetizers can be made in advance, I will make sure they are all set and ready to go.
- Set up the stations. The day before the party, I will lay out all the serving dishes and where they will be placed. That way I know I am covered and there isn’t any scrambling for platters the day of the party.
- Keep clean-up simple. This is sometimes harder than it sounds, but I really try to have an empty dishwasher and clean kitchen before the party starts. It is such a big help when it is time to start cleaning everything up.
Easy Finger Food Appetizers
What’s not to love about Christmas party appetizers that are easy to eat while you mingle? These finger foods are so simple to make and even easier to eat.
- Cranberry Brie Bites. Everything you love about baked brie and preserves in individual bite-size portions.
- Caprese Kabobs. The colors are just so Christmas-y, plus these are so easy to make.
- Easy Pizza Pinwheels. Kid adore these easy Christmas appetizers, and they are ready in under 20 minutes.
- Bacon Wrapped Dates. The perfect balance of sweet and savory in just 3 ingredients.
- Bruschetta Caprese. Just like the kabobs, the colors are pure Christmas.
- Creamy Baked Chicken Taquitos. I love how the toppings end up looking like Christmas.
- Kielbasa Puffs. These need only 2 ingredients and 20 minutes to make.
- Mixed Candied Nuts. Such an addictive and sweet snack for a table.
- Easy Potato Skins. You won’t believe how quickly these come together and how easy they are to eat.
Easy Christmas Dips
Dips may be one of my all-time favorite party snacks, because they are so easy to make and are so big on flavor. I also love that these type of easy Christmas appetizers can be served with an array of options for dipping.
- Greek Dip. Just look at how festive this looks! Plus, it taste even better than it looks.
- Cranberry Salsa. This tangy dip is served over cream cheese and is always a hit.
- White Bean Hummus Recipe. This twist on the traditional hummus offers a lighter bite.
- Best Guacamole Recipe. I like to top this with a few pomegranate arils to make it look really festive.
- Easy Pico de Gallo. The colors scream holiday and the salsa provides a bright note when served along heavier dishes.
- 7-Layer Dip. This is always a fan favorite, and it looks so pretty on any holiday table.
Christmas Party Appetizers with Cheese
Is it really a holiday without cheese? Well, technically, yes, but things get a lot more merry when you include a little bit of dairy on your menu of appetizers for Christmas.
- Cheese Ball Bites. An easy-to-eat cheese ball? Maybe holiday wishes do come true.
- Cranberry Orange Cheese Ball. This colorful holiday cheese ball is a major hit at parties and can be made the night before.
- Classic Cheese Ball. Just 4 ingredients to make a beloved appetizer.
- Baked Brie with Honey. I love serving this gooey and sweet cheese on the Christmas charcuterie board.
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball. Wrap this ball in a pecan and Chex coating for an even more festive look.
Easy Christmas Platters
I have always considered platters and charcuterie boards as the best way to offer something for everyone. They are impressive yet easy Christmas appetizers that are so much fun to decorate.
- Christmas Charcuterie Board. The options are endless to creating a festive sampling of all of your favorite flavors.
- Fruit Christmas Tree. This playful dish is perfect for kids (and adults, to be honest!).
- Christmas Dessert Board. Ok, this isn’t so much an appetizer, but I love to put it out at a party just in case someone is craving something sweet.
- Mezze Platter. Serve this refreshing array of Mediterranean dips and snacks with a heavier appetizer.
- Fruit and Cheese Platter. What’s not to love about fruit and cheese?
- Fruit and Veggie Platter. I mix up what types of fruits and veggies based on what is in season.
- Italian Antipasto Platter. This has all of my favorites on one board.
Crockpot Appetizers for Christmas
I am such a fan of easy Christmas appetizers that I can make hours in advance and it will still be warm and delicious when it is time to eat. Save this list for Super Bowl snack ideas, too!
- Cranberry Meatballs. Just 3 ingredients to make a serious crowd pleaser.
- Slow Cooker Spinach Artichoke Dip. Simply dump everything in the crockpot 1 hour before guests arrive and enjoy.
- Slow Cooker Queso Blanco Dip. This gooey, cheesy dip only needs 5 minutes of prep and 5 ingredients.
- Hawaiian Meatballs. Simply combine premade meatballs with BBQ sauce and pineapple.
- Lil Smokies. I am always amazed at how quickly these disappear at every Christmas party.
- Crockpot Meatballs. Another classic favorite that only takes 3 ingredients.
Full List of Appetizer Ideas for Christmas
Click on the links below to find the recipes for all of the delicious easy Christmas appetizers mentioned above.
More Christmas Ideas
Need more holiday inspiration? Beyond Christmas appetizers, browse these holiday favorites to feast all season long!