By Jen from Yummy Healthy Easy for I Heart Nap Time
Hi again! Guess what? It’s springtime! Finally! Summer is right around the corner, which means it’s time to break out your grill and get barbecuing! I’m super lucky that I get to live in Southern California where the weather is moderate all year long. We barbecue year round!
My husband is usually our grill master. I get sort of nervous grilling meats because I’m never sure when they’re done cooking. I’m always afraid of overcooking and undercooking. But when it comes to shrimp, that’s my specialty. I always know when it’s done cooking because it turns from gray to pink – easy peasy!
My boys like shrimp, but only if it’s simply made. Not fried or covered in seasonings, etc. That’s one of the reasons why these grilled shrimp skewers are so awesome.
Another reason is because simply put, skewers are cool. Everyone likes grilled meat on skewers! Also, this shrimp is marinated in a deliciously simple garlic oil marinade. It’s quick to make and adds so much flavor to the shrimp. And then there’s the mango salsa, which is easy to whip up and can be served on the top or on the side of the shrimp.
These skewers are perfect for entertaining, too. They’re easy, healthy and absolutely delicious. You will love to welcome spring and summer by making a batch up soon! And if you want to try another easy shrimp dish, try this favorite of ours: Orange-Thyme Grilled Shrimp.
I’d love to have you stop by and check out more of my delicious recipes over at Yummy Healthy Easy! See you next month!
If you’re looking for some additional yummy recipes, check these out:
Grilled Shrimp Skewers with Mango Salsa
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds large shrimp shelled
- 6 wooden skewers soaked in water for 15 minutes
- 1 bunch green onions thinly sliced
- 2 ripe mangoes peeled and chunked
- 2 jalapeños seeded and finely diced (or less depending on heat preferences)
- 1/2 of a bunch of cilantro leaves only, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in medium saucepan over low heat. Add sliced garlic and cook until soft. Add 1 Tbsp. lime juice, pepper and salt. Let cool.
- Thread shrimp onto soaked skewers and place in a 9×13 pan (or something similar). Pour garlic oil marinade over shrimp. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2-6 hours.
- Meanwhile, prepare mango salsa: mix green onions, mangoes, jalapeños, cilantro and remaining 1 Tbsp. lime juice. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat grill to high. Grill marinated shrimp for about 3 minutes on each side. Shrimp will be pink and firm. Take off grill and serve with salsa. Enjoy!