Table of Contents
Healthy Fajita Bowl Recipe
If you’re a fan of my one-pot burrito bowl recipe, crockpot chicken fajita recipe or Instant Pot chicken taco bowls, these Mexican chicken fajita bowls are bound to be a hit. They have all of the flavors that you know and love about chicken fajitas, but are served over a bed of rice instead of in a flour tortilla.
It makes a great lunch or dinner and is packed with protein and veggies. Not only is it a healthy dinner idea, but it has become one of my favorite Mexican food recipes. I love how fresh this dish tastes and the flavors are perfect!
This meal is great for serving a family of picky eaters and is easy for each person to customize their own bowl. Serve with a few of your favorite toppings or tortilla chips. These chicken fajita bowls are definitely a new favorite recipe!
Ingredients for Chicken Fajita Bowls
Get ready to make the best fajita bowl recipe with these simple ingredients! This bowl is full of flavor, fresh vegetables, and traditional Mexican ingredients all sectioned in the bowl. Combine and make every bite delicious!
Find the full printable recipe with specific measurements below.
- Grains: The base of the fajita bowl starts with healthy cooked grains. We love cilantro lime rice’s flavor, but Mexican rice or cooked quinoa are also great options. This recipe is great to use when you have leftover Instant Pot rice!
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breasts are marinated in olive oil, taco seasoning, and lime juice to give the meat an authentic Mexican flavor. A homemade fajita marinade with fajita seasoning also works just as well.
- Fajita veggies: A mix of sliced red onion and bell peppers sautéed until tender and flavorful.
- Beans: Black beans are a favorite at our house, but pinto beans or refried beans are two other great options.
- Pico de Gallo: The bowls are finished with some fresh pico de gallo. Fresh diced tomatoes will also work if you’re in a pinch!
How to Make Chicken Fajita
Take your chicken to the next level with these chicken burrito bowls! It is so simple to make and combined with all your favorite ingredients. The chicken is juicy and tender with fresh vegetables and beans. Top with your favorites for a complete meal in a bowl!
- Marinate. Place the chicken, olive oil, taco seasoning, and lime juice in a bowl. Toss together and then marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can marinate for up to 4 hours.
- Saute. Heat a large skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and cook each side until the center reaches 160°F. Remove and let rest. Tent with foil.
- Cook. If there’s enough room, you can add the bell peppers and onion with the meat halfway through. You may need to add a little more olive oil if they’re sticking. Cook until tender. Then remove from heat.
- Chop. Slice chicken against the grain after it has rested for at least 5 minutes.
- Prepare. Add 1/2 cup rice to 4 bowls. Then divide the chicken, vegetables, and beans on top. Then add the pico de gallo and top with your favorite toppings. Serve while warm.
5 star review
“Came out great! The kids loved making their own bowls. Thanks for sharing!”-Allison
Don’t forget the toppings! Add spicy, creamy, crunchy, or all of the below! These are a few of our favorites when serving this dish.
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Tortilla strips
- Squeeze of lime
- Avocado slices
Yes! The rice and beans are filled with fiber and complex carbohydrates and the lean chicken breast is a good source of protein. Then there’s the fajita veggies and pico de gallo, which are both made with fresh vegetables and herbs. This dish is packed with good-for-you ingredients!
I’d recommend marinating the meat for at least 30 minutes. The longer it marinates, the more tender and flavorful your meat will be. You can marinate for up to 4 hours if you have the time.
Absolutely! Ditch the rice and serve the chicken and veggies over a bed of greens, similar to this fajita salad. Or use romaine or butter lettuce to make taco lettuce wraps instead. Cauliflower rice is always a great option, too!
Absolutely. Instead of frying the meat and veggies in a pan on the stove, you can make oven-baked chicken breast instead. Simply place them on a sheet pan and bake at 400°F for about 15 minutes (or until the meat is no longer pink).
Meal Prep Fajita Bowls
This dish is also a great meal prep idea for lunch or dinner. Once the ingredients have cooled, simply divide and layer the ingredients into 4 separate meal prep containers. I like to add the rice first, then top it with the meat, veggies, and beans. I usually put the pico de gallo and any other toppings in individual containers so they stay fresh. The meal prep fajita bowls will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
More Easy Mexican Dishes
Chicken Fajita Bowl Recipe
- 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ Tablespoons taco seasoning mix
- 1 lime , juiced
- ¼ red onion , sliced
- 3 bell peppers , sliced
- 2 cups cooked rice , or quinoa
- 13 ounce can black beans , rinsed and warmed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- fresh cilantro
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Place the chicken, olive oil, taco seasoning and lime juice in a bowl. Toss together and then marinate for at least 30 minutes. You can marinate up to 4 hours.
- Heat a skillet on the stove-top over medium-high heat. Place the chicken in the skillet and cook each side 3-4 minutes, or until the center reaches 160°F. Remove and let rest. Tent with foil.
- If there's enough room, you can add the bell peppers and onion in with the meat half way through. You may need to add a little more olive oil if they're sticking. Cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Then remove from heat.
- Slice chicken against the grain after it has rested at least 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup rice to 4 bowls. Then divide the chicken, vegetables and beans on top. Then add the pico de gallo and top with your favorite toppings. Serve while warm.
Nutrition provided is an estimate. It will vary based on specific ingredients used.
Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below!